Peter Stubbs House

Coffee

Believe it was called The White House. Latterly, it was the home of Jim Jenkins, of Warrington estate agent Taylor-Jenkins. He was a former Conservative agent in Warrington and also a borough councillor.  I think Peter Stubs only had one "b" !   No pictures, I am afraid.

Further to my previous post.  The White House was built in 1904 for industrialist Peter Stubs who ran the Warrington file cutting firm. It covered four acres and and until 1986 remained a private property when it was demolished and the land used to build the current private hospital. From before 1947 until 1972 The White House was occupied by George and Etty Parton, after which it was owned by Jim Jenkins, and his wife Joyce.

Thanks DS, your right Stubbs had only one b so it should be Stubs and yes Dizzy as you say and DS points out where it used to be

I was surprised there is still a company called Peter Stubs in Warrington, although it is owned by a foreign company now.

Jim Jenkins... now theres a name that brings back some some giggles.  I vaguely remember his house (the White House) and it was really big, unless it just seemed that way because we were young, and was set in very large grounds.  We used to visit him there very occasionally when we were kids as my parents and uncle knew him but i only really remember his huge garden and I think there were stables there too. 
Nice Rolls Royce too but a very strange sight to be seen driving across a bumpy headland on a field in Anglesey to visit us once on a camp site.  My mum was the first person to ever make him use a hoover too after he came round to ours with a daft surprise box and spilt polystyrene beads (or similar) all over the room :lol:

We don't have any pics of his house though but maybe my dad can remember more about what the house looked like and I never knew it used to be Peter Stubs house... but then again at that age I wouldn't have known or cared who he was anyway.

The White House which was knocked down for the Bupa Hospital to be built on all the land was further down than that Algy.  You can see it on this map from 1977.

I remember the large pond and the big stable area that used to be there too now I've seen the map and I've also remembered that the house was all painted white... hence it's name I guess durh  :lol: 

whitehouse1977.jpg

I only remember it cos of the family friend connection when we were younger Algy.  #

I remember my mum always used to say it was a damn shame Mr J sold up and it got knocked down and built on but then again he had his reasons for doing that and moving on to pastures new I guess :wink: