Bridge Street plans

Gary

House shares usually include all bills, so that's one slightly cheaper way to go. Or rent a 2 bed flat with a friend and split both the bills and the rent. But at the end of the day, yes you can feed, clothe, warm, and transport yourself for £130 a week.

Zero hours contracts are not as prevalent as Obs seems to think. Yes, there are some about - but nobody NEEDS to be stuck on one if they don't want to. There are plenty of jobs in the factories and distribution centres around Warrington at a full 40 hours a week, plus overtime available and many with shift pay boosting it by a further 25-30%.

You sound like one of those Tory MPs who claimed they could live on the dole and then discovered otherwise!   The fact is: houses aren't selling quickly anywhere (unless we are talking of foreign billionaires buying up London); simply because most folk can't afford a mortgage; hence the Gov's help to buy scheme. Lenders are rightfully cautious and in an age of insecure employment (no jobs for life); such a big commitment is frankly a non-starter. It's a no brainer to suggest, that building more (council) social housing, with cheap subsidised rents, would reduce demand generally and reduce price inflation. To suggest that a young couple gagging for a place of their own, would turn their noses up at a Town house is absurd, beggars can't be choosers. 

You're wrong as usual Obs, houses at the bottom end of the price band (below £100,000) are selling like hot cakes. I have reason to know because Mrs. Inky is in the business and we're trying to buy just such a property at the moment.

More expensive places are hanging around on the market for a while.

Flats - especially in the town centre - are not shifting at all. Because people have realised that they don't want a town centre flat!

That's why renting a town centre flat is cheap - supply and demand. Over supply for minimal demand.

Do we? What demand, if they don't want to pay £100 a week for one?

Most younger people would rather stay at their parents until they can save the deposit for a proper home than chuck money away on rent for a town centre shoebox.

And as for buying one..............only an idiot buys a property with absolutely no prospect of increasing in value.

• Upvote 1

The London experience doesn't appear to support your argument; where even a garage can fetch a record price. With low supply v demand; prices will continue to rise, making it even more unlikely that folk can afford to buy or even rent.  Relaxations in lending schemes being promoted by Gov, only adds to the demand forcing prices even higher. So all those who've just scrapped onto the housing ladder, will now be sweating in case interest rates rise (which they will); and we're back to another crash and a shed load of toxic debt. Still, that's the market for you !

Once again Observer, Warrington is not in London. is there a housing shortage in Warrington, house prices don't seem to be going up much here?

I actually looked at buying an apartment in Warrington, by palymra Sq, If I had I would be in negative equity now.

I wonder though if it is not the location that puts people off but the design; the apartments are tiny.

I knew a couple of Polish girls who worked for M&S through an agency that rented apartment for them in the Cheshire Lines building

See a lot of new buildings going up but very few "houses". The developers these days seem to go in for three or four storey builds as they can rent or sell them as three or four flats as opposed to one house. They also tend to be just on the limit of what is termed a "room" as regards size. By the time you have a chair and  such in one there is no room left to sit in it.

Makes me wonder how all these furniture place manage to sell those massive sofas they advertise on a daily basis.

Even if a number of the cheaper houses are going as Buy-to-Lets, that still means that the buyers are certain they can rent them out consistently and make a return on their investment.

I simply do not understand those who say Buy-to-Let reduces the housing supply. Buy-to-Let landlords rely completely on providing homes for people and since the council isn't building or buying, who else is providing these homes?

And the fact is that the Buy-to-Let landlords are simply not buying the town centre flats which Obs is so keen on building yet more of - they know that they'll never get their money back if they sell, and will struggle to cover their costs with rental income while they own them.

I think maybe a lot of cheaper properties are probably being snapped up by the buy to rent brigade  because there is now a cap on what the  government will pay in housing benefit towards property rental .

The benefit cap is a cap on total benefits - not just housing benefit - and is set at £350 per week for an individual or £500 a week for a family. You could rent a palace in Warrington with that sort of take home income so I don't really see it having much of an impact here!

Just took a swing round the Cheshire Lines flats, rear of Central Station. Not one "for sale" or "to let" sign on display. Now judging by the cars parked there, they may be too upmarket to stick signs on the buildings, but imo there's nowt wrong with these flats, even got ground floor garaging, so IF there's a flood, only your car gets wet !   Buy to let landlords are there to get someone else to pay the mortgage for their nest egg; we shouldn't expect altruism in the market place.

Back on topic, surprised there is not more of an out cry to WBC plans for bridge st, I find Bridge St a very Beautiful St, that needs some money spent on it 

Wondered down it today with my phone and took a few pics

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/eborp/embed/slideshow/Bridge%20St%20Warrington"></iframe>

Does anyone share my views?

Edit: Added a You Tube Video 

• Upvote 1

One of the problems i have with the buy to let properties is that they are costing so much to tenants that it leaves them usually in a position of never being able to save enough money for a deposit on a house. On the other hand you can't blame people who buy to let for wanting a decent return on their nest egg that banks won't provide.

And as for Bridge Street there are some lovely buildings crying out to be saved ,which is why i suggested using them as refurbished, prestigious space for offices & other commercial & leisure ventures.

Back on topic, surprised there is not more of an out cry to WBC plans for bridge st, I find Bridge St a very Beautiful St, that needs some money spent on it 

Wondered down it today with my phone and took a few pics

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/eborp/embed/slideshow/Bridge%20St%20Warrington"></iframe>

Does anyone share my views?

Spot on there Milky !  You must have been up very early to get these people free shots ? Lets hope the the redevelopment makes use of these great facades and doesn't cock it up !!

Great photo's Milk Shake.  I've always admired all the lovely old buildings all the way down Bridge Street and have taken 100's of photo's of them myself many times. 

A lot of people never look up and they miss all the beauty and superb architecture. 

Such a shame that all the ground floor shop fronts have been changed and ruined over the years and look so tatty now... maybe they could have just all been reinstated as they would have been so that they matched the upper floors with more sensitive shop signs etc .... that would look lovely and would be full of real character IMO.

Spot on there Milky !  You must have been up very early to get these people free shots ? Lets hope the the redevelopment makes use of these great facades and doesn't cock it up !!

Can't have been that early - the chippy was obviously open!

That's what our bustling main shopping street looks like most days of the week since the Golden Square and the councils determination to price motorists out of town.

• Upvote 1

Went to see  the exhibition  at the former Glitz shop (when did that close) and there is so sentential reporting at Warrington Worldwide.

The plans is to replace the market with a smaller one and the square,

Not sure how building a new market, cinema and a few restaurants will revitalize bridge street though?

As I've suggested, it's a piecemeal approach, unless part of an holistic plan for the whole of the TC, that will attract footfall over a wider area than the GS. Had a pleasant capuchino and people watch in fish market area today, shows what could be possible over a wider area, very continental.