Council clinches new deal on swing bridges with Peel Ports

Gary

Wont make any difference at all. What are the agreed peak times of traffic considered as?

So limit the amount of operations to 100/year, that still means approximately every 3 days a ship is

permitted to go through during peak traffic times.

Thankfully I dont have to use these routes on a daily commute.

"The Memorandum of Understanding will stipulate that every effort will be made by Peel to minimise disruption to the town’s traffic arteries and keep the number of times the swing bridges close at rush hour to less than 100 times a year"

which basically means it isn't worth the paper it's written on..... Peel Holdings will have every right to open the bridges when and as often as they please and as long as they state they have "tried to minimise disruption but because of tides, workloads, etc etc.... " the council can't do bugger all.

Maybe lobbying the government to pay for a few high level bridges across the Mersey would have been a better option perhaps

Big announcement but no substance.

Mother, " How are you approaching your maths exam tomorrow?"

Son, " I am going to make every effort to pass, Mum"

Mother, "Great, I will tell the family and neighbours"

Son to himself, "If she believes I have any chance of passing she is going to get a nasty shock". 

Seems to be just a poor show from both sides regarding crossings of the ship canal. How long as it been open ,nearly  100 years & the council & whichever company has been in control of the MSC during all that time have not been able to improve the swing bridge crossings  by working together to solve a developing problem. I am  sure in their day,before the surge in motorised transport, the bridges were cutting edge technology.

When the Ship Canal was instigated, designed and built, it was done so by men and politicians with a great vision.... of a transport link between Manchester and the sea. A vision that would boost trade and better the lives of the people.

Unfortunately we do not have politicians like them today. Todays politicians are all about what's in it for them and how they can further their own careers and line their own pockets.

This issue with the toll bridge and Peel holdings etc. has been coming for years now, and all that our illustrious leaders have managed to secure is a worthless piece of paper full of legal mumbo-jumbo that would be better off in the recycling bin.

Where are the MP's in all this? Has Mowatt had a chat with Dave? Has Helen Jones brought it up in parliament? Have they buggery.... Even our local politicians have been blinkered into hoping we get a few extra jobs out of it all.... God help us all!

• Upvote 1

Peel holding are going to do for Warrington what the Councillors have tried and failed, bring it to a stop.

No need to build any more ramps or obstructions and 20mph will be plenty as it crawls along. Cyclists will be safe and children will be able to play hopscotch in the street.

However I said it here before but feel it is in Peel Holding interest not to disrupt the traffic during the day. IN the longer term I  think a new road will need to be built over the MSC and think it should be paid by for by peal, in the end if one is built bet it end up a toll road.

• 3 weeks later...

It would appear that Peel holdings have replaced Coastal Deniz with Thea 11 a larger vessel doing 2 trips a week rather than coastal doing up to 4 trips,the only problem today when Thea 11 travelled up the canal today Stockton heath swing bridge got stuck again.

Nothing changes much with Peel holdings,solve one problem and create another.

It would appear that Peel holdings have replaced Coastal Deniz with Thea 11 a larger vessel doing 2 trips a week rather than coastal doing up to 4 trips,the only problem today when Thea 11 travelled up the canal today Stockton heath swing bridge got stuck again.

Nothing changes much with Peel holdings,solve one problem and create another.

I've not seen or heard the new ship 'Thea 11' that you mention go past yet and couldn't find anything about it when I just googled. 

It must be an absolute whopper though as Coastal Deniz is huge and the vibrations from it often rattle our doors, windows and more annoyingly my computer monitor.

Peels only started using Coastal D early last year so that one didn't last very long...

dizz try ships AIS. had a look just (07.27 am wednesday 11th) and it is almost at liverpool end of canal heading for the docks there.so it must have passed through warrington about an hour and a hlaf or so ago.

it is a general cargo ship about 100m long and 16m wide.

Downhill eh ? :lol: :lol:

Nope I never heard a thing so that's good :) .....although I did have the bedroom window closed last night cos of the pollen from all the trees on the canal that are now in full leaf and bloom.

I'll keep a look out for it as it sounds huge and although I often moaned about the droaning form Coastal Deniz I do(did) like watching it and the others going past in the day. 
I often find my self reverting to being a little kid too by waving at them if I'm walking along at the time  :oops:  :lol: 

Off to do some Ship Spotting on the AIS now to see if it says when it's coming back... shhhh don't tell anyone :wink:

I eventually found it and it seems to have gone through Stockton Heath at about 4am ...  so I wonder what it carries ?   It says it is  "Cargo - Hazard A (Major) "  so not UGG boots or hairdryers or radios then (unless they are fake) but not to worry as Coastal D was that category too and we are still all alive :lol: