Elections

Coffee

They are all listed on the councils website here Coffee... 'Statement of Persons Nominated - Local borough and parish elections May 2014 [pdf]'

or go to the page here and clicj the link that way
http://www.warrington.gov.uk/info/200345/councillors

I've just looked and it seems I don't get to vote.  How come Stockton Heath or Walton aren't on it ?

Wonder why we still have voting cards though. I can't read what it says on ours as they have stuck a sticker over the part about what election it is and what our vote is for :|

It is a ploy dizz just to get you interested in voting again.

As for finding out who is standing just take a wander into town any saturday, there are politicians all over the place handing out leaflets teeling of the various benefits for voting for them. Not seen one yet that says he/she will NOT fiddle his expenses though.

Just had a look on Warrington web site, apparently here in Warrington we have three Councillors representing Orford

Oh Evil Sid, I am waiting for them to come and see me, I doo not think I have ever met a Councillor (yet I have three) or MP.

One of my councilor's lives two streets from me and the only time i have ever seen him is when he went to the local shop for a paper about three years ago. strange thing is the street he lives on has been tarted up with new surfaces on the footpath. the only one in the area i may add.

How do you know that will work?

What is a career politician anyway and how do you qualify?

you don't although if everyone did that it would,  sadly in Warrington as long as it has a labour ticket it get ellected.

How do you qualify, you become a councillor and try to push through stupid politically correct schemes.

Well i now believe that an election is due.

No it is not the proliferation of leaflets for recycling I have recieved, nor the sudden appearance of rosetted people on every street corner pressing even more recycling into my hand as I pass.

No it ws the appearance of the street cleanig machine in our street accompanied by five guys with leaf blowers cleaning the street up and blowing all the litter off the footpaths into the gutters, a sure sign that an election is imminent.

be interesting to see if the vote mobile will be out this time exhorting the indifferent to "Vote for (horrible screeching tooth tingling feedback) the right choice" maybe this year they will get somebody to repeat the message in the various ethnic languages of the area. (given the number of different ethnic minorities the election will be well over by the time they have got the first three words out)

Still one good thing that will come out of this I may get to find out who actually represents my interest in this area on the council. (then again maybe not)

What tends to be the tactic nowadays, is that the main parties will be phoning their known supporters to Get The Vote Out; hoping not to wake up the majority - so no knocking on doors and no leaflets !

I wondered why I have only one leaflet.

I also gues labour are so sure of wining around here they don't bother

Well we still didn't have a clue why the 3 of use here have voting cards because the stickers were covering the 'bit' on the cards ...... ok so got it now and ours is for European Parliamentary Elections only.

I haven't got a clue WHO our current ones are and I certainly haven't got a CLUE who all the people are who are standing next week as there has been nothing through the door etc from any of them. 

Maybe they could all give me a ring tomorrow as I'm bored stiff of trying to google them/it now  YAWN !!!!!!

It's all a complete waste of time anyway if you ask me... oh sorry you didn't :wink:

• Upvote 1

One of my councilor's lives two streets from me and the only time i have ever seen him is when he went to the local shop for a paper about three years ago. strange thing is the street he lives on has been tarted up with new surfaces on the footpath. the only one in the area i may add.

Same round my area Sid-you only see him when its voting time---all out for what they can get

• Downvote 1

It's merely symptomatic of the cynical disdain that the main political parties have for the electorate. In public they talk about improving the turnout, but in practise they hope for low turnouts, as their core support  always turns out. So don't moan, just vote.

I always make it a point to vote, I may be one of the first through the doors when the polls open or it may be later in the evening just before they close but I always vote. It may be a vote for a particular candidate or against another but at the end of teh day i can say that I have had my say and when the moaners start on at me about who I voted for or against (and they usually do no matter who you put your X besides) my main reply is "who did you vote for?" a question which tends to get the reply "I didn't bother this time as they are all the same". At the point I usuallty point out that they are to blame then for who we got if they had voted then maybe we would have somebody else. but ptobably not but that is politics for you.(at least these days)

As for your euro mp's didn't even know we had any in warrington, they have never approached me for my views on the EU or any other matter. If peoples feelings are as strong as some make out about the EU and it's "meddling" then maybe they will not get voted for at all oe at least only voted for by immediate family members and close friends.

• Upvote 1

I always make it a point to vote, I may be one of the first through the doors when the polls open or it may be later in the evening just before they close but I always vote. It may be a vote for a particular candidate or against another but at the end of teh day i can say that I have had my say and when the moaners start on at me about who I voted for or against (and they usually do no matter who you put your X besides) my main reply is "who did you vote for?" a question which tends to get the reply "I didn't bother this time as they are all the same". At the point I usuallty point out that they are to blame then for who we got if they had voted then maybe we would have somebody else. but ptobably not but that is politics for you.(at least these days)

As for your euro mp's didn't even know we had any in warrington, they have never approached me for my views on the EU or any other matter. If peoples feelings are as strong as some make out about the EU and it's "meddling" then maybe they will not get voted for at all oe at least only voted for by immediate family members and close friends.

The EMP is regional and we seem to have eight of them for the north west, good value I guess as we have two MPs just for warrington and how many councillors 56? Yet we do not know any of them apart for the two that occasionally post here then disapear if the questions get to hard, but credit to them, I guess.

As for voting if there was someone to vote for I would, however the choices are of the three main parties which is no choice at all. The councillors who we elect if they are good boys and girls and tow the party line might get rewarded with a vacancy for ellection to a MP or EMP. Lets face it who among us would not wish to become an MP or EMP, lots of holidays, expenses, well paid.

Still not clear who is standing in Orford but if UKIP are I voting for them, not because I believe in their policies but because I want some independants in the council

• Upvote 1

Well as if by magic (or because of the lovely weather today) we've had FIVE leaflets through the door regarding our MEP vote 'thing'.  One had an address sticker on and my name so I guess the postman must have brought that one.

I've NEVER heard of any of the people who are standing before and no idea if any of them is/are our current MEP(s).  Not entirely sure WHAT they are proposing and who on earth are the PIRATE Party :wacko:  :lol:   

....... I might just scan and upload the leaflets and then let you lot explain it all to me and I'll make my mind up that way cos I don't want to waste my vote.... but don't really want to vote for any of them to be honest.

I have had a word with mister N.O.T. Above and he says he does not mind being elected but is buggered if he is going round mithering people to vote for him. :mrgreen:

As for the Pirate party it is either Jack Sparrows mob of the somalian contingency vote they are after.

It is the morning of the election and I dont know why there is the need for a Council Election as there seems that only Geoff Settle is standing so no need for a vote.  

None of the others if there are any, have bothered to put out flyers etc in our close.