EU Big Brother......

Bazj

Be interesting to see who responds the quickest, the emergency services or injury lawyers. :mrgreen:

May be interesting though.

A for instance. your car is fitted with this device and is parked in a carpark. somebody manages to back into the car hard enough to set the air bag off. five minutes later an ambulance turns up to an empty car, whilst somebody who has just had a heart attack a few miles away cannot get an ambulance in time as they are all busy and subsequently dies. it could happen. as a worst case scenario, so instead of saving a life iot has actualy cost a life.

Not sure on this one Baz:  tracking your car, would help in emergency location, in accidents or if stolen.  Suppose we're back to the "big brother" argument; and with all the methods now available to the Police, I think we're already there anyway.

When we were looking for car insurance a few months ago for our son who had just passed his test we looked into some young driver insurers/policies who offered a similar thing ie a black box fitted in the car.

It seemed like a good idea in principal as one of the companies explained what there's did to me.  It would monitor the driving speed, braking speed, cornering speed etc which all seemed like quite a good idea for new inexperienced drivers especially as they are taught these days to drive at speeds of the top limit on roads (something that I don't necessarily agree as road conditions play a big part, well to me anyway).
All of these things were automatically monitored and recorded via the box and it's special inbuilt motion sensors and all results were stored on line so even he could log in and check his driving as could we.  Mum's spy cam :wink:

Anyway then the said the following.... 'and don;t worry if he ever has a little bump when he is out as the sensors automatically sense it and inform us straight away.  We will then immediately ring him on his mobile  (or you) just to check he is ok no matter how slight the bump and where the sensors show a harsh 'bump' we will alert the emergency services'.

Mmmm thought I.... so if by any chance he accidentally bumps into a little bollard or something... or someone else bumps his car slightly the sensors will automatically tell you.... you then know he has bumped 'something' or someone has bumped him ... it is then recorded against him and as such his insurance rockets even if there is no claim or 3rd party damage.  Errrm NO THANKS !

Daft thing was we got his insurance £1000 cheaper by getting a normal fully comp policy from LV... all in his name and they even put us both on as drivers for an extra £40.

SO WHERE WAS I........ oh yes these black boxes they are now talking about in all new cars could be used for a whole host of different things and maybe if they monitor drivers speeds and location too councils could do away with all the new 20 signs :wink:  :lol:

Insurance companies are thieves; all of them without exception. I have just renewed the insurance on my merc. whilst filling in the form, I omitted to put down the fact that my car was banged outside our unit (Feb 2012) when it was parked up and locked with no one in it. Thankfully, the guy was stopped from driving off and the £10,000 + that it cost to repair came off his mums insurance company (Ouch) so fully settled, in my favour.

Anyway, I got my quote (£320.00 fully comp with business use, PNCB etc) and just before I clicked on the buy button, I went back and added the incident to the form.

When the price came up this time, it was £68.00 higher! I rang the insurance company to ask how it could possibly affect MY insurance record when the car was stationary, locked and empty at the time of the collision..... their answer?

"It just does!"....

So NO.... it would not be a good idea if these things became the norm because as Dizzy has pointed out, they would use every single bit of information against you.....

Sure they would Baz; but sadly this is the way things are going (indeed have gone); not just "the Government" gathering, holding and perhaps sharing data on you; but private sector commercial interests too.  Most transactions you make today, they'll start by asking for your name. post code and maybe date of birth; then presumably their screens fill up with your details. So much for "data protection".

I wonder if it anything to do with the EUs desire to bring in per mile road pricing?

I also wonder how well it would work as the emergency services would be overwhelmed with these calls, especially in large cities like LOndon and even Manchester. the places this could be most useful are remote regions where it probably would not work.

Nothing to stop people disconnecting them, for now at least

Be interesting to see who responds the quickest, the emergency services or injury lawyers. :mrgreen:

May be interesting though.

A for instance. your car is fitted with this device and is parked in a carpark. somebody manages to back into the car hard enough to set the air bag off. five minutes later an ambulance turns up to an empty car, whilst somebody who has just had a heart attack a few miles away cannot get an ambulance in time as they are all busy and subsequently dies. it could happen. as a worst case scenario, so instead of saving a life iot has actualy cost a life.

Emergency call out are prioritized, so an ambulance would first go to a heart attack or be diverted to one, same with the fire service and police

Insurance companies are thieves; all of them without exception. I have just renewed the insurance on my merc. whilst filling in the form, I omitted to put down the fact that my car was banged outside our unit (Feb 2012) when it was parked up and locked with no one in it. Thankfully, the guy was stopped from driving off and the £10,000 + that it cost to repair came off his mums insurance company (Ouch) so fully settled, in my favour.

Anyway, I got my quote (£320.00 fully comp with business use, PNCB etc) and just before I clicked on the buy button, I went back and added the incident to the form.

When the price came up this time, it was £68.00 higher! I rang the insurance company to ask how it could possibly affect MY insurance record when the car was stationary, locked and empty at the time of the collision..... their answer?

"It just does!"....

So NO.... it would not be a good idea if these things became the norm because as Dizzy has pointed out, they would use every single bit of information against you.....

Must have been some bang!!!

It is because statstically your likely to make another claim within 12 months!

The EU has its own GPS system (called Galileo) under construction with assistance from China, which it wants to be a rival to the dominant US system. For it to be affordable the EU has to create an income stream and this is where the likes of road pricing and vehicle tracking come in. It is just another way of getting money out of you poor car owners.

Hmmmm but what is going to happen to it all when the EU finally collapses in on itself? I would guess, just like the Russians who creamed off the oil when the Soviet Union fell apart, that some EU commissioner would buy it for a couple of Euros and end up a billionaire 50 times over :)

Cynical.????....Moi????

They do. Its called EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon). The yacht that just sank in the Atlantic was fitted with 2 of them. They can be actuated automatically or manually and send an emergency distress message via satellite with the position.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625244/EU-bug-car-UK-tracker-chips-Ministers-admit-powerless-stop-Big-Brother-technology.html

This is only the beginning of your future if you do not act against this totalitarian regime 

That's likely to happen down the road. However the European Court of Justice (an oxymoron you might think?) has this week thrown a spanner into Google's gear box by saying that they have to respect a citizens "right to forget" things which even though true cannot be revealed via a Google link. Could they have signaled the end of Facebook and Twitter ?  Our own Governments Justice Ministry is trying to close down public access to the Press archive in case Jurors try and Google info about the accused  in cases in which they are sitting  on the jury. Seems we have more to worry about than tracking devices in your boot, onerous though  that will be !