45 Vitrol square Earlestown

sylvia131

Hi just to let you all know i have confirmmed that Pheobe and george are my grandparents (step) i am talking to  harolds neice daily. He was one of ten children the second youngest. Leonard ball did have the same father but born before marriage but they just never changed his name. Awaiting a photograph of them. Thank you for all your hard work and help. Much appreciated xxxx :P

That's fantastic news Sylvia131 and well done.  How did you make contact with Harold's niece ? :) 
You should upload a photo of them once you get it cos it would be lovely to put faces to the names of people we were searching for and chatting about :) x

I shall buy some wine in bulk ready to calm my nerves for the Jones's Sylvia :lol: :lol:

I just cancelled my 'Find My Past' subscription renewal though which was due for payment yesterday as their new site and user UN-friendliness was really peeing me off this week.  I will probably only last a week without it though so may succumb to weekness.  Still got my 'Ancestry' subscription to fall back on though :wink:

Muspratt's Chemicals, Sulphuric acid manufacturers.

Muspratt, James (1793–1886), chemical manufacturer

1793 born in Dublin on 12 August, the youngest of three children of Evan Muspratt (d. 1810) and his wife, Sarah. It is believed that his father had emigrated from southern England; his mother was a member of the Mainwaring family of Cheshire. After local schooling James was apprenticed to a wholesale chemist.

1818 After various adventures abroad, Muspratt went into partnership with Thomas Abbott (an established drug and general merchant), to set up a chemical works in Dublin.

1823, after the government abolished the £30 per ton duty on salt, it became economic to manufacture soda using Leblanc's process. Muspratt set up a small chemical works in Liverpool, in an old glass factory, taking advantage of Liverpool's import facilities.

1828 Muspratt was forced out of Liverpool for polluting the atmosphere. He built a new works at St Helens in partnership with another Irish chemist, Josias Gamble.

1830 The partnership ended. Muspratt moved to Newton (le-Willows?) on the St Helens Canal.

From 1832 until 1850 Muspratt was continually involved in litigation concerning the emissions from his works; in the end he had to close the works.

Muspratt's moved to Widnes operating as Muspratt Bros & Huntley, they also had a works at Flint.

• 1 month later...

Sylvia ,i have come across a book you may find interesting called  " Earlestown ,yesterdays of a railway town " by Barry Carman ,but i can't find a publisher's name anywhere.

It has been a library book at some time & documents Earlestown  from the early to mid 19th Century with plenty of photographs. You may be able to get hold of a copy somewhere.

• 1 year later...