Can office workers park in front of your house?

Geoffrey Settle

IF on road parking is compromising the safety of road users, the Council have the option to put down double yellow lines and police it, might bring some revenues in !  The "robust travel plans" were a feature of the Planning Dept's wish- full thinking, and yet another case of ignoring reality.

The policing gets done by the Traffic Wardens but the yellow lines have to be approved by WBC provided that there are no objections by the public - the consultation process can go on for quite a while, There are two yellow line and one access consultations out for approval in Longbarn as we speak. Funnily enough the Home Office have said that if Harpers Road becomes an access only then they will enforce their travel plan - strnage but true :roll:

Two people have objected about the yellows lines going down - one because she doesn't like the colour YELLOW and the otherbecause it will cost money :oops: You couldn't make it up could you?

Surely if they are parking on blind bends making it extremely dangerous that is a police matter....saying that if there's no markings there then perhaps it's not classed as an offence.

Makes me laugh when buildings or houses are approved to be built and designs statements and/or conditions say they are ok as long as there are 'robust travel plans in place' and that 'people are ENCOURAGED to travel by bus, train or bike'.

That doesn't mean they will or will have to.  It's their/our choice.

Only 3 parked here last week but 8 the week before at this spot !

IMG_0776_zps9fa9dd06.jpg

3 cars over a whole week? Surely that's nothing to moan about.  Even 8's not that many really and I thought you meant 20/30/even more.

If that is the only place they [the 3 or 8] are parking well in fairness  it's not like they are parking infront of peoples drives or gardens or causing problems with resdents not being able to park outside their own homes etc.

Zoomed out from where you are stood there's are any houses along there and a big grassed area on the right...........

I'll swap houses with the ones who are complaining if they like  :lol:

The comment about woman who objected about parking lines because she doesn't like YELLOW really made me laugh, maybe Warrington could get the first polka dot pink and sparkly ones :lol:

Highway Code.

You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.
Law GL(GP)A sect 15

local plod should read the highway code.  I acknowledge that most local bobbies aren't very bright though.

If you read what you've just posted then it clearly says that the MUST NOT (which is enforceable) applies only to London, everywhere else in the country it's SHOULD NOT (advisory, not enforceable).

Nothing wrong at all with the parking in the picture, sufficient width of pavement left for pedestrians with pushchairs etc., sight line around the bend not dangerously impaired given that it's a low speed residential street, street lighting so no unlit obstruction risk after dark, and room for about another 5 there safely so I can't see the 8 which is being claimed being a problem.

It's far worse than that on most residential streets round here!

PJ do people never park on the roads or pavements where you live (leaving enough space to get past safely with a pram etc of course) or do you live in a big posh secluded house somewhere with a tree lined drive and gargoyles :wink:

While I do understand that some people may get a bit annoyed with others parking on their 'patch' it happenes everywhere and at least in the case Geoff refers to it's only during the day and only involves a very small number of cars and drivers.

Putting down yellow lines would work but overkill IMO and if every resident complained in every area about the same sort of thing there would be nowhere for anyone park at all.....excpet car parks of course :wink::lol:  

Geoff.... and I quote....."In February 2011, local transport minister Norman Baker gave all councils in England permission to use signs to indicate a local pavement parking ban. Until then councils had to gain special authorisation to put a pavement parking ban in place." Taken from the "Confused.com website"

Now seeing as you are wasting £750,000 sticking 20mph speed limit signs up everywhere (which now appear to have changed to "20 Zone" signs.... why not add another line at the bottom saying something like "Parking on or partially on the pavement is prohibited in this area. £30 penalty notice will apply" or something like that

Now that way you won't have to upset the woman who doesn't like yellow and you won't waste any more money than you lot already are on the 20 signs.... (I mean what would a few extra words cost!?)

Blimey can you imagine the confusion that would lead to.   The dim bluecoat ticketer's and their bosses who set the rules and routes for them to follow would somehow have to use use their brains to differentiate between people who park in an area slightly on pavements but who don't cause obstructions to wheelchair users/prams etc and those who do  :|  

They don't even ticket and fine people parked on double yellow lines on London Road (A49) through Stockton Heath etc etc... saying that neither do the police

Ahhh that could explain it then Geoff. 

Are blue coat traffic wardens allowed to ticket cars parked on double yellow lines or can they only do their allocated carparks. 

They never seem to bother with the ones parked on double yellows in the village centre either outsde all the take-a-ways etc at night.

I know full well if I ever chanced it they would though as I once called them vultures with no soul for ticketing an elderly gent in the lower forge carpark cos his wheel was touching a white line... there were no other cars parked there !

Oh and I sort of had a go at them for doing it to another elderly gent who had gone back to his car after realising he had forgotten to get a ticket, he was almost in tears and said the fine was most of his pension... there was only about 10 minutes to go until 6pm free parking too :(

As far as I know traffic wardens do have the authority to ticket on double yellow lines - I have certainly asked them to do so in my ward for parent parking outside one primary school were one child was nearly knocked over outside a school becuase the parked car were obscuring the view of pedestrians on the crossing. Since they have shown turned up to patrol things improved but for how long who can tell?

Guess they must have been told to ingore the main through road then as they always just walk past chatting or drinking their coffees and have done for over a year.  Maybe they get free pizza's or something as some of the cars are delivery drivers...... oh and taxis.... so free lists home after a night out maybe :wink:

I'd imagine hooligans would just do it for free and for fun Davy51 if they haven't already done it.  Anyway..... best change the subject before we get in trouble.....

Who discouraged the residents Geoff and what law is there that says they can't put notices on peoples windscreens for example saying 'As residents we are sick to death of you parking here every day.  You are causing an  an obstruction blah blah blah'  <substitute for whatever wording you like... I was being polite on here ha ha>

I certainly wouldn't continue parking my car anywhere if each day a notes were stuck on my windscreen as I'd be worried about the safety of my car and would expect a mouth full at some stage if I knew people were really annoyed with me.  :wink: