Big BELLY comes to Warrington

Geoffrey Settle

Big Belly Bin comes to Fearnhead Cross Shops and elsewher in Warrington

Have you seen the brand NEW solar BIG Belly BIN at Fearnhead Cross Shops?

Big Belly BIN is on a 6 month trial and has been in use for a couple of weeks. In order to see how effective it is the other bins have been removed as part of the trial. It is positioned outside the Co-op because that is where most of the litter was put into the old bins.

Last year I met with the estate manager and complained about the state of the shopping area and we discussed what needed to be done to refresh the area. A lot of the tasks have now been completed. They included painting the trellis work, cleaning the glass canopy, repairing the walkway, replacing the car park lights and repairing the lights above the shops.

We had agreed that the old bins would be replaced, however there were issues with the number and the frequency of collections.

Big Belly may be the solution to the waste problem and at the end of the pilot they will be assessed. The estate manager have written to say that they are “currently trialling replacing existing letter bins with Big Belly Solar Powered bins as an environmental and revenue saving exercise at various locations across the borough. Big Belly is an international company who have contracts with numerous local authorities including the cities of Birmingham, Liverpool and Westminster.

The bins are solar compactor bins with telemetry that linked to an IT system. By logging in to the system the Council receive live feed giving the bins status Green the bin is Empty Yellow the bin requires emptying and Red when the bin is overfull

In addition to this the Council receive emails from the bin when full. WBC staff can also check the bins status via a light display on the front of the bin. There are 4 bins in Town Centre 2 on Academy way and one at each railway station

In addition to this there a further 6 bins across town in high use areas

Fearnhead shops, Lymm Village, Stockton Heath Village, Wilderspool Causeway, Chapelford & Barrow Hall Lane shops”

For more information about Big Belly Solar Bins see http://www.bigbellysolar.co.uk/

geoffthebinman_zps5a660358.jpg

Geoff if you weren't a councillor I'd have thought it was a funny spoof news joke.  OK so I did think it was at first until I clicked the link :oops:

Where are the ones on Wilderspool and in Stockton Heath as I've not noticed them and neither have my other half and son.

If I was the council though I'd keep them, and what they do, quiet as some people (not me) could have a heck of a lot of 'fun' with those if they were that way inclined :lol:

Ignoring the fact that I mentioned earlier that I though some people could possibly having fun with them, which I still think....

Having pondered for a while maybe they are not such a bad idea after all if they do work and people actually start to use them more.

I wonder how much they cost to buy and run.  Do you know Geoff ?

I also wonder if they do smaller kitchen size ones which could email or txt the two 'men' in my house :lol:

Geoff if you weren't a councillor I'd have thought it was a funny spoof news joke.  OK so I did think it was at first until I clicked the link :oops:

Where are the ones on Wilderspool and in Stockton Heath as I've not noticed them and neither have my other half and son.

If I was the council though I'd keep them, and what they do, quiet as some people (not me) could have a heck of a lot of 'fun' with those if they were that way inclined :lol:

I've no idea Dizzy - I only asked about the new Big Belly at Fearnhead Cross - but maybe we should have a Spot Big Belly Bin competition :mrgreen:  keep looking - I have spotted a 2nd a few weeks ago but I can't remember where it was.

Geoff you are a councillor so should know these tyes of things :lol::P

I had to go up Wilderspool last night but didn't spot the one there but then again it was dark. 

I was going to look again this morning when I came back from town but the traffic was too bad when I got to Brian Bevan Island (I HATE THAT ISLAND BY THE WAY WITH IT'S LONG POT HOLED RIDGE THAT FLICKS MY CAR TO THE SIDE AND THE BLOODY INCONSIDERATE AND STUPID DRIVERS WHO STILL CUT ACROSS FROM THE WRONG LANE OR PULL OUT FROM THE BLUE BRIDGE WITHOUT A CARE IN THE WORLD AT RUSH HOUR AND NEARLY OBLITERATE ANYTHING IN THEIR PATH)........ so errm...rant over.... traffic... yes.....I went the other way down Chester Road.

Sun's out though so I might go 'spotting' in Stockton Heath later :lol:

Is there a prize for who finds them all ?

Having technology telling you when a bin needs emptying is all well and good but I'd have thought that a reliable schedule of regular bin emptying would be all that's required. It's not like you'd drive past half empty bins to get to a full one.

As an aside, does anyone remember the old "Tomorrow's World" program where they said that in the future, all domestic bins would have a built bar code scanner that would automatically reorder another item. Brilliant idea until you buy something that's bloody awful and it keeps buying more of the stuff! :mrgreen: .

Bill :)

Don't trust these new bins, what happens if people don't put rubbish in them. Will they suddenly go on the rampage looking for litter to keep them fed. hordes of wandering big belly bins terrorising the town, leaping out on unsuspecting passersby and devouring their shopping bags. REVENGE OF THE CURSE OF THE RETURN OF THE KILLER BIG BELLY BINS, COMING TO A TOWN NEAR YOU !!!!!!!

You have been warned :twisted:

Nice one Dizzy but I imagine that it is meant for the casual user and not the industrial type - however make sure your smile for the camera because I will be checking the emails that it sends out to spot you and your black bag and not the accessory type :mrgreen:

Blimey has it got a camera fitted on it too Geoff ?  Thought you weren't allowed to use cctv/take pictures of people without having signs up. 

To help you spot me I have a blond mohekan, 5ft 8, ice blue eyes, extremely slim, a very tanned complexion and a  small tattoo of an angels skull on my neck :)