Card Skimming device found on Warrington Cash Machine

Bazj

Same as any other month then :lol:

So..... not seen/heard it on the local news yet, where did you hear it from and was there any advice what to do if you might have used one of the machines in the past few days, or week, or month..... depending on how long it's been there for.

I watched a program last week where they actually interviewed some of the Romanian (I think) gangs that were carrying out a lot of the skimming. Their attitude was that that this wasn't that bad because everyone's card is protected so they're not actually robbing the public but the big corporate banks. 

I suppose that's ok then!  8) 

Bill :) 

It's on the Cheshire Police Alert site.  Here it is.  

As you will see, the card machine isn't specifically identified.

MORRISONS SUPERMARKET GREENALLS AVENUE

LATE STORE HOLES LANE WOOLSTON

On 29/01/2014 skimming devices have been found attached to the cash machines at the above locations.

Skimming devices use hidden electronics to steal the personal information stored on your card and record your PIN number to access the cash in your account.

ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO OBJECTS MOUNTED ON THE ATM OR LOCATED CLOSE BY

A pinhole or off-colour piece of plastic could give away a camera's hiding place.
Some ATM skimming schemes employ fake keypads in lieu of cameras to capture PIN numbers. Just like the card skimmers that fit over the ATM's true card slot, skimming keypads are designed to mimic the keypad's design and fit over it like a glove. If you notice that the keypad on your ATM seems to protrude oddly from the surface around it, or if you spy an odd color change between the pad and the rest of the ATM, it could be a fake.

If anyone has any information to assist the Local Police, please contact us on 101or alternatively via Crime stoppers on 0800 555 111

I tried to ring my bank ealier Shiela just to enquite.  Automated service kept asking me for certain digits of my password....what password ?

It finally gave up and let me speak to a person... in India I think (well an indian sounding person anyway)

That person then went through security after I explained I did not know my password and asked various things like direct debits going from my account blah blah blah......and then they asked me for certain numbers of my password.... AARGH !! 

Anyway they couldn't talk to me then cos I'd failed the security test.  They probably wouldn't have understood me anyway the minute I mentioned skimming and Morrisons :lol:

If i have any queries like that i go into the bank and ask to speak to somebody behind the counter. at least that way you can see the person you are talking to and they may better understand any problems you may have instead of reffering to a crib sheet. also if you are not happy with their answers you can ask to se the manager so he/she can reassure you that you have indeed been ripped off or not as the case may be. :|

I just warned one of my friends who lives round the corner from the Holes Lane machine and he raises an interesting point in that given the banks know which cash points we use on a regular basis, why haven't the banks notified people to change their pin numbers? Maybe its me just being a bit cynical but do the banks actually insure themselves against such losses because if they do they don't really need to do anything and just add the costs onto our normal bank charges. :roll:

Bill :)

I sometimes check the police twitter feeds for Warrington now Peter as I can read them without having to be a twitterette.  I don't realy want to join twitter as I'd never use it anyway... ha ha I used to say that about facebook I KNOW :P

I registered and joined the Chesire Police Alert site before xmas and that was good.  It did freak me out as the first few days I received emails and and saw reports of a house break in not far from me and other stuff too.  None of it was reported in any of the news pages. 

Then I tried to go back on a week or so later as I'd stopped receiving emails but just thought there were no crimes going on but the local news reports were saying differently .....and it said I wasn't registered with them... but I was.  So I requested my password again which they sent to my email address (so I must have been registered) and tried again. 

AND NOW I've been waiting over 3 weeks to be validated again for some reason :(

Perhaps they think I'm dodgy or something :lol: