Wasting food

Lucy

A TV programme yesterday claimed that the average UK household wastes £600 a year buying food they end up throwing away.

The problem, apparently, is that most people are poor shoppers. They fall for "two for the price of one" offers and other methods used by supermarkets to boost sales.

Ladies, are you one of these food wasters?

Gentlemen: Is your wife a food waster? Or if you do the shopping are you one yourself?

Wouldn't an extra £600 a year in your pocket be useful?

The simple solution is to write a shopping list before you leave home and only buy what is on it!

We’ve been here before with this one Lucy.

The two for one deal is great just as long as it’s not something with a limited shelf life. But it really miffs me off when fresh food is offered this way because while its fine for the larger families that can use two portions, when it’s only one or two, the individual price is hugely over the top. To my way of thinking this unfairly penalizes the smaller family or those with a smaller appetite so why not make the offer half price rather than the 241 deal and that way everyone wins.

There’s also another issue for me in that I live in a relatively small house and cupboard storage space is limited and this prevents me buying even the none perishable goods on offer if I've got no where to store things. 

Bill :)

We're getting a lot better at this and what we do throw out is put to use either for the compost bin or for chickenfeed.

Some people clearly need educating in balancing their budgets though, 2 for 1s might help here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/we-are-not-amused-mps-tell-queen-to-rein-in-her-spending-as-she-reaches-final-million-9089312.html?origin=internalSearch

Oh, and welcome back Lucy!

Apparently fresh veg is a major source of food waste, which probably saves the supermarket buying departments the embarrassment  of being seen to have over ordered, when veg is sold as 2 for 1 or in kilo bags that nobody really needs. It looks better for supermarkets not to be seen to waste healthy food...leave that to the customers.

Oh I do know Artie. My son and his partner haven't got a clue when it comes to shopping. They buy all sorts of stuff simply because it takes their fancy and end up with far more than they can consume. They have a huge house and the cupboards and fridge are full to the brim with stuff that's either unopened and expired or been left open and gone off. Just the other week, we had a clear out to decorate a small storage room and the amount of stuff in there was unbelievable and the majority of it was out of date. Fancy a beer? 20 odd assorted bottles all best before 2007   :shock:

If over consumption is reduced, we may reduce the need for landfill?

Surely over consumption produces a different type of waste and that doesn't go to lanfill Obs :wink: 

Always thought that the solids (being polite) are treated and the sludge is made into fertiliser and also used in a process for generating electricity.

Useless supermarket offers - 3 for the price of 2, just encouraging folk to waste food, a way for the shop to rid themselves of produce that is approaching its end of purchase date and as someone has said, putting the onus on the public to waste rather than them having to dispose of it!.

How much public money was wasted during this fiasco?

re police, CP staff, and senior solicitor's salaries?

If they can spare the staff to carry out this type of pathetic activity then perhaps staff cuts are justified.

Totally wrong that they should have published personal details of these men when there was no complaint and no case to answer - hope they go for compensation.

Perhaps Iceland and other supermarkets might think to give surplus food to homeless shelters and food banks in the future rather than throw it away.

Absolute disgrace that in Britain 2014 there are people desperate enough to go in bins for food!

Britain in that respect is no better than a 3rd world country.

we are still witnessing a widening of the wealth gap with no serious intent by the political class to close it.

Perhaps it is a cunning plan by the present incumbants to get aid back from all those countries we send it to in the first place.

saw a little item on the news the other day about the ghost schools that have "sprung up" in various places, a building exists and is being funded as a school but with no teachers and no pupils. one rea had twenty five schools registered of which only five were actually schools.

As for wasting food i now have tendency not to buy bread in the normal sized loaves i was finding that because we no longer eat as much bread the larger loaf was going off before we got even half way down the loaf, anything more than four days old and it would be starting to develop mould. I wonder if it is the "baking" process that is to blame for this. Bread is not "baked" in the way it was years ago it is steam cooked and then goes through an oven to put the crust on as a final process before slicing.

As for stuff in the freezer i now have a policy of checking the contents on a weekly basis since i found a packet of peas that were so far out of their sell by date you could not have seen it with a large telescope. :shock:

It would be interesting to know what happens to all the meat in the big supermarkets as it reaches the sell-by-date

i do know of one company not too far away if not sold the meat is dumped in a skip and dyed while still edible now

surely that is very wasteful.

Must admit Artie now you've just said that I've realised that I've never seen any meat/chicken/etc reduced in the likes of Morrisons as it's coming upto it's sell by date.  Maybe that's because it all gets sold before it get to the date, the staff buy it or maybe people beat me to the bargains.

Out local Spar (sorry new name One Stop) often has mince/chops/chicken/etc reduced though as does Aldi.  Some good bargains to be had too :)

On a slightly different tack, the wife and myself dined out with friends last night at a slightly up market restaurant and although we both chose meals from the lower priced section, the bill still came to more than we spent for the whole weeks shopping earlier in the day  :shock: . When I got back home, I was putting my suit back in the wardrobe when I found a pack of Mr Kippling mince pies in there that were probably bought on a 241 deal over Christmas. Three weeks past their best before date and the wife is asking if we should try eating them?

It's a crazy world we live in and btw, I tried Brazilian horse meat last night but suspect it may have been beef  :mrgreen: