Rioting or the ballot box?

observer

We seem to be seeing public dissent throughout the world at the moment, with protest developing into riot and eventually in Syria - civil war. So what are the parameters of dissent?  In the Ukraine, a pro-EU grouping, largely middle class, are busy protesting against closer ties with Russia; but the elected Government presumably had majority electoral support; so why aren't they making their challenge at the ballot box? Likewise, in Thailand, again a largely middle class grouping based in the capital is challenging an elected Government, elected by a majority of the rural poor. Seems they don't even want another election, which they can't win, so are opting for an un-elected body to run the country. So is faith in western democracy diminishing in the face of minorities attempting to  get there own way through protest?

Despite all its shortcomings & murmurings of dissent from its population ,Britain & its Western allies are superb places to live ....bastions of free speech where people can usually say & do what they want . We are privileged. Don't confuse democracy in any other part of the world with what we have in the west.

I'm not Dave;  I'm challenging the idea, that a democracy that has taken us hundreds of years to evolve can be suddenly transposed onto countries that have no culture of democracy, hence my objection to Bliar's wars to impose liberal democracy and the subsequent support for the "Arab Spring", which has all ended in tears..