100th Anniversary of the beginning of WWI.

algy

Has anyone heard as to what WBC intend doing to remember the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the First World War on 28th July this year, I realise it cannot be celebrated, but should not be allowed to pass without some recognition by the borough!.

Perhaps we should raise a topic on here a few weeks before the date inviting members to upload photographs of there relatives who lost their lives in the conflict.

• Upvote 2

Although it is reported that things will be going on in Warrington to mark the 100 year anniversary I've not actually seen or manged to find anything anywhere that says 'what and where'.

It would be nice to know what is being planned and if there is anything people can get involved with locally in the months running up to the remembrance events.

For me, well I am going to continue with my own little personal quest as a mark of respect and remembrance to the brave men and women who are listed on the Stockton Heath and Walton Cenotaphs who sadly lost their lives in WW1 and also WW2 if I can :(

Perhaps a time for learning and reflection. rather than holding "events".  The numbers killed in futile attacks against prepared defences is mind boggling; lions led by donkeys. Also, the cases of those executed for cowardice, who were suffering from shell shock. Then of course, the famous "first Christmas" where both sides fraternised in no man's land; quickly being broken up by artillery fire ordered by the Generals. The French mutiny; where the "ring leaders" were eventually shot. etc

I will too and thanks PJ and Primedius :D

Primedius, it's a shame that the 3 Warrington Museum ones in your link aren't on until the end of September/beginning of November though.

Maybe they have other things planned for earlier in the year too though which are yet to be advertised.

Think the centenary of the start of WW1 is in August; then you've got four years of it.

Four years of what obs?, you can't have four years of the start of the conflict!, we only have one day each year of the end of WWI and that is a remembrance day not a celebration.

We already have the eleventh hour of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month. The four years would allow educational projects to track specific developments and events in that war, to help comprehend the scale of the slaughter and the degree of incompetent military leadership, and the political failiure to make it the war to end all wars..