Help required to trace two addresses.

algy

Dizzy and Tracey (and any one else who may be able to help) any possibility of you two lady detectives finding information about these two properties and information who lived there and what they were used for, a friend of mine's parents lived there before they passed away and he seemed to think they may have been some type of residential home, he is not certain of the date but it is possibly that they were old properties and may have been demolished or had name changes over the last few, I would think we are talking 1920's onwards (if old houses the names may be earlier than that). I have searched and walked the areas without success. I have even searched Cheshire Tythe maps thinking that "Dukefield" may have been a field by the Duke of Bridgewater's Canal - no success there either.

The addresses are:-

The Bungalow, Causeway Avenue, Warrington.

Dukefield, London Road, Stockton Heath.

There is a dukefield listed in the warrington unitary developement plan for june 2005

APPENDIX 10: SCHEDULE OF BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES OF LOCALLY IMPORTANT ARCHITECTURAL AND HISTORIC INTEREST

and listed as

Dukefield 174) London Road Appleton

WA4 5BH

may be the same place but listed as appleton and not stockton heath.

it is shown on google maps as just opposite dingle way on the same side of the canal as the pub  but on the opposite side of the road.

And you two beat me too it too but I might as well add my bit :)

I eventually found Dukefield on the 1911 Census

In 1911 the building was classed as being in the...

Civil Parish of 'Appleton'

Rural District 'Runcorn (part of)

Ecclesiastical Parish of 'Stockton Heath, Stockton Heath (part of) '

Parliamentary Borough or Division ' Knutsford Cheshire (part of)'

Unfortunately the home owners were not in when the 1911 census was taken and it was signed by Elizabeth Nolan, age 44 (servant to the household/owner - she was the waitress).  The other person there on the night was Elizabeth Smith, age 20 (also servant to the household/owner - she was the housemaid)

According to the census Dukefield House was on Old London Road between Stockton House and the Birchdale as Evils and Joe have already said.

I'll look on the older census returns in a bit now I know where I'm looking to see if anyone exciting lived there :wink:

Thanks to all of you for the prompt replies and Dizz that would be great could you email them please, I think you may have my email address but iust in case I shall PM you with it.

I don't want to appear greedy but any luck with the Causway avenue one.

'She' is actually a 'he' and Emmeline was his wife :wink:  It's Vere not Vera, odd name eh?  They married in Warrington in 1873.

One of their sons, Claude, is buried in California and his father  name is on it (but father is not buried there as he died in Warrington)

Having delved a little further seems the Davies family lived in both Birchdale House and a couple of the sons lived in Dukefield at different times so they obviously owned them both.   They were certainly a wealthy family and the father was Robert Davies also a solicitor in warrington.

Vere  was certainly living in Dukefield from 1889 to 1900

Leonard Gaskell Davies was living there sometime upto his death in 1921 (shows on his GWR shareholder death transfers to Vere although Vere is shown as back at Birchdale then) 

I've completely forgotten what else I was about to put now although none of what I found going back and forth shows whether it ever became a care home...... time for a coffee :lol:

I'll email them to you shortly Algy :wink:

As for Causeway Avenue well nothing so far as the 1911 census just shows houses numbered 1 to 28 and couldn't even find it on the 1901 census... do you have any other info no matter how tiny or even a name or anything that I could try with?

To be honest though I got completely sidetracked with Dukefield and the possible irrelevance of the interesting Davies family :oops:

I just found an Alfred Hackney who died in Warrington in 1929 but on reflection you said they were your friends parents so I guess that may be too old... there is also an Alfred V Hackney who died in 1962.  Only Hilda Hackney I can find died in 1977. 

Saying that your friend would probably know when they died anyway with them being his/her parents.  Silly me :oops: 

Coffee, it is an aquaintance of mine who is attempting to fill a gap in his family history and knowing how good we are on here I decided to enlist the help of anyone who could help. The "Bungalow" in Causeway Avenue seems to be the sticking point at the moment!.

Dizz, I have passed the information on and he has replied that the Dukesfield info is what he has been looking for for a long time and asks me to thank you. I am awaiting his reply as to whether Alfred V Hackney and Hilda Gleave are his relatives.

This info just came through:-

"Alfred Victor Hackney and Hilda Gleave are my father and mother. It was Alfred Victor and his younger brother John Charles who lived at the addresses I sent you. The other addresses are family ie grandmother and Uncles. They lost their mother in 1916 and its from then that they where shipped about, My dad would have been about five and his brother about three. It is from 1916 I am searching."

Marvelous and glad it was some help.  Did you get the document downloads I sent as my internet cut out and although it says email sent I'm not 100% that it did.

Re the additional info just sent to you, sorry and it's late so my brains not working....does he mean Alfred and John lived at Dukefield and grandparents / uncles lived at Causeway Ave or is there another address too ?

Some more info about to follow after this posts so as to keep it seperate :)

More for Dukefield, London Road.

A Mr Ivan Vlasto lived there (again a residential property) certainly from 1922 to 1935.  He was born in Liverpool (his father was from Greece and his mother was from Moscow incase you were wondering about the name).  1922 was the year after Leonard Gaskell Davies died so follows on nicely.

The records show that Ivan lived at Dukefield but was also part owner of a business called 'Vlasto, Clark & Watson' (Electrical Engineers) who traded from premises on London Road at London Bridge (not listed as being at Dukefield) .  Wonder if that was next to his house or on his land?  Ivan Vlasto has some patents in his name for things like Master Control Systems etc and the company still appears to be trading but not around here. 

By 1939(ish) Ivan and his wife have moved to a house called 'Brantwood' in Stockton Heath.

So who lived in Dukefield after them I wonder ? ...   

Feels fitting to mention this too although I realise again it’s not relevant to your original question

Sadly their only son William Theodore Vlasto, (Classical Scholar, Jesus College, Cambridge) died in service on 30 June 1942 aged 22,

He was a Pilot Officer with the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 

His grave is in Lossiemouth Burial Ground, Moray, Scotland, Grave 1137

His service number is 115917 

• 4 years later...
On 08/01/2014 at 7:52 AM, algy said:

Dizzy and Tracey (and any one else who may be able to help) any possibility of you two lady detectives finding information about these two properties and information who lived there and what they were used for, a friend of mine's parents lived there before they passed away and he seemed to think they may have been some type of residential home, he is not certain of the date but it is possibly that they were old properties and may have been demolished or had name changes over the last few, I would think we are talking 1920's onwards (if old houses the names may be earlier than that). I have searched and walked the areas without success. I have even searched Cheshire Tythe maps thinking that "Dukefield" may have been a field by the Duke of Bridgewater's Canal - no success there either.

The addresses are:-

The Bungalow, Causeway Avenue, Warrington.

Dukefield, London Road, Stockton Heath.

I lived in Dukefield from 1967 until 1993. It belonged to my father before the late

Stan Jones ((son of Alfred Jones, as in the company, who also built Bethesda Chapel). Before us it was the Cookson family who built the house behind. The original family was the Davies’s whose main house was what was the Birchdale Hotel (now demolished). All the best, Jon Jones - current Chairman of Alfred Jones!

Hi and welcome to the forum Jon Jones :D  Great info :D

Who'd have thought that after 4 years since the last post on this topic someone  would come along and post on it saying they had lived there.  It must have been a lovely house to live in, you are so lucky :D

Obvious most locals like me have heard of Alfred Jones (through the Spar Shops) but I never knew the Alfred Jones company also built Bethesda Chapel.   Fascinating.

• 4 years later...

I have only just come across this interesting article.    I hope that I am not to late to add some information.

My Grandfather bought Birchdale in 1934 with the adjoining land and cottages in Birchdale Road.  My parents, Edith and Arthur Reddish started the Birchdale Hotel in March 1948.   My Grandfather Frank Berry (established Builder and Contractor of Wilderspool Causeway ) had the property requisitioned by the government for an American Military Hospital during the War and it was only after alterations and updating in 1948 that we opened the Hotel.    The previous owner had been as already stated Vere Davies of the Robert Davies solicitors in Bold St. Warrington.     Dukefield was lived in by other Davies family.  When my parents retired from the Hotel in 1968 the people living at Dukefield were the Cookson family.   Such a pity the Hotel was demolished as part of it dated back to the 16th century.