There's no jobs, only part time low paid.

asperity

They did a similar report earlier this year about a Eurozone recovery compared with last year which proved to be incorrect.

quote: Much is being made of a report out today that the Eurozone may be emerging from recession. As the New York Times notes the Markit survey of purchasing managers in Germany and France rose to 50.4 percent in July, the highest level since January 2012.

A reading of over 50 percent indicates that the economy is growing; below 50 percent it indicates that it is contracting.

There's just one problem: this is "the highest level since January 2012"! But in January 2012, they were completely and utterly wrong,/quote

So there's every chance they are totally wrong with this also.

Well the Office of National Statistics states

' Rising levels of employment are being fuelled by people being forced to take part-time jobs, official figures showed today.

In the last five years since the financial crash the number of men in work has remained almost unchanged, but 280,000 who were in full-time jobs have been forced to cut their hours.

At the same time four out of five new jobs in the whole economy have been taken by women working fewer than 25 hours.'

So someone is

So much for our education and training system. And the folk doing the "part-time" work are now described as the "working poor". I said in 2008, when the crash occurred, that it would take at least 10 years to get back to something like normality, but I fear it may take even longer; and the importation of ever more "job seekers" just compounds the situation.

If you read the statement, it's about the growing availability of positions due to skill shortages. The people being "forced" to take part-time jobs must lack the skills for better permanent positions maybe?

Nothing new about employers whingeing about skill shortages whilst being shy about investing in training.

Oh, hang on, it's not really the employers doing the whingeing here, it's agencies, who invest next to bugger all in training. They want you to come all skilled up and ready to work any hours god sends...so they can make money out of selling you.

Anyone any idea on the breakdown of the particular skills that these parasites agencies are crying people are short of?

In other news, Primark in Warrington opened just a few days ago.

The selection process for applicants was very, er, picky.

Around 160 people secured jobs, which is great.

The vast majority of which are part-time and minimum wage or not much more.

Around 600 were interviewed.

There were over 8,000 applicants.

If anyone thinks getting a decent job is easy, well, they're not living in the real world really.

But ,as has been said countless times in the past, most of the jobs on offer are not likely to woo benefit claimants back into work  especially if they are going to be worse off when travel to work costs etc are taken into account. What part of the country are all these jobs located & where will we get home grown labour when meaningful apprenticeships are in very short supply ?

Bill I am shocked, not that you advertised where you did but that they still have a jobs page in the publication mentioned.

When i was doing my job seeking they advised me to check the job pages in there and i had a quick chuckle and handed the guy a two column bit of paper that was advertising for workers. (all of which i was "over qualified" for). Was asked if i had considered signing up for agency work. mMy reply as somewhat less than entusiasm.

People I know do work for agencies and will often get a phone call to say that they have a job for them, usually three weeks work to cover sickness or the like starting Monday, no training for the job to be done just get there and start your 10 hour shift at three in the morning and don't forget to sign off the benefits whilst you are working there.

can remember when i was a lad (usual quote for anybody over a certain age) the guardian would run to something like four or five pages of jobs, now it is something like four or five jobs. Shop work interviews went something along the lines of "two of everything you were born with, can you add up and take away, yes, good start in the morning see the manager for your hours on the way out" Now days it is "and what did you get your degree in again"

You'll have to forgive me - I'm new to the forum and must admit am a little niave about political goings on!

I have however been looking for a part time job for the last few weeks - and struggling!

Everything seems to be long hours for little pay.

I have relevant skills - I got my degree this year (woop!) but am finding hard to find part time work that isn't just soul destroying retail!

I worked full time in a job I loved before I moved to Warrington and an agency approached me to sign up -  I've done some admin work for them however they too seem to be struggling to find me permanent part time work.

I was looking at the jobs section of a certain local paper's webpage & apart from most of the jobs being miles away from here there was very little to shout about. I even looked in the driving section which instead of jobs was touting  HGV & PSV driving courses which had to be paid for by the candidate with the faint hope of finding a job at the end of the course.

Unfortunately agencies have taken over the staffing liabilities of many companies & as such are advertising "jobs" on the off chance that a company will need a minion for a few hours , but the real jobs are not necessarily available.

• Upvote 2

Yesterday I spent the whole day interviewing young people who’d applied to work here as trainee software engineers. We weren’t looking for experience but just a keen interest in technology with the right attitude and a willingness to learn. The job is by no means menial or low paid in fact it’s pretty much what I do for most of the day and had a starting salary of about £17k. 

By the end of the day it gave me a really good feeling to be able to offer two such young people who had only done part time work since leaving school a permanent position with us. 

So you can imagine how I feel sitting here right now having just receive emails both turning down the jobs. 

What is it with these young people? 

You know, the next time anyone comes on here bleating about how us oldies had it so easy and how they deserve more they’re going to get both bloody barrels from me. When I wanted to change my trade and someone offered me the chance, I jumped at it and worked for low pay commuting 40 miles each day. I endured pay freezes, power cuts and bloody fuel rationing but I stuck with it.

Bill

• Upvote 1

I do honestly believe that one of the reasons the government has come up with the idea of people working longer is that there is a massive rift in attitudes to work between the older generation  & the youngsters of today who are not really geared up to working the long hours necessary to earn a decent wage. There are jobs out there that the younger generation would not do.

One said he’d had another offer but looking at his CV he was 21 and he’d only worked twice since leaving school, both times minimum wage part time warehouse contracts and that totalled up to less than six months. What’s the chance after all that time he gets a better job offer between 5 pm when we emailed our acceptance and 9 am this morning when the job was turned down?

The other with a similar set of credentials refused because he felt the travel was too difficult (Longbarn to Woolston!)

I may be old but I’m not stupid. In my opinion these young people don’t want to work plain and simple.