Traffic lights

Gary

Doubt I'll see it Diz; but when "total gridlock" finally arrives; it will be a case of having to. Folk will realise there's no alternative; but the Government will be driven into doing something, by the effect that congestion has on the economy, delays to business etc. You never know; corner shops may come back into fashion, even on "posh" housing estates; so folk can walk a hundred yards or so, to get their shopping?!

I walk 100 yards to ASDA.... best corner shop going! :)

Maybe they should park on the car parks in the south of the borough which WBC has recently hiked the charges on Diz!

Oh, forgot, residents on street parking permits in those areas north of the water where most houses don't have driveways are already being subsidised by the takings from those very car parks, aren't they!

It's been covered on here several times.

WBC views parking services across the borough as all one thing, whether they are town centre car parks, local centre car parks (like in Lymm and Stockton Heath) or residents on-street parking schemes, and expects the service as a whole to run at a surplus (don't ask! I would have said that parking provision was a vital service to ensure prosperous town and village centres and should be supported from the taxes we pay and the business rates the shops are charged too!).

The residents parking badge schemes and free car parking areas which are generally in areas north of the ship canal all currently cost more money to run than they bring in from charges. So WBC has hit the local centre car parks in Lymm and Stockton Heath with large price increases and reductions in free parking periods to make up the shortfall.

Pretty much, yep.

But then people who've bought or rent houses with no driveway (a fact which will have been reflected in the price they paid) will all moan that they don't have a guaranteed reserved chunk of "their" road right outside their front doors to park their cars on, And despite the fact these "road owners" probably don't need to use it during the day when they're out at work, woe betide anyone else who might park on that bit of the public highway when they need to.

12 house in my street not one with a drive. Most of the surrounding streets have no drives to the houses an dthat includes lovely lane which is a main road. so where do you park a car if you have no drive, simple don't have a car. Ah but how then do you get to work. Get a job local or use public transport, No jobs local that i am qualified to do and public transport would use up about half my minimum wage per week so in effect i would be better off not working and signing on once a fortnight.

The resident peking schemes are now in place and have been for a few years where i live so the initial cost of the sinage has more than likely been recouped. the cost of printing the permits every two years would be a fairly small sum even at three per household in the area. The main outlay would be the wages of the wardens to patrol the area and issue fixed penalty notices and the cost of of the challenges made when people who have parked there, often under the signs warning them of the parking restrictions.

The wardens not only patrol these permit parking areas but also other areas of the town where parking enforcement is in place, usually on one of those rev and rip scooter things so they can cover a wider area for less manpower.

As for moaning about not having "a reserved area of road to park" before they introduced resident parking in my area it was not uncommon for me to come home from work and have to park my car at my mothers house half a mile away because people who were "visiting" the hospital did not want to pay for parking there or could not find anywhere else to park. Strange thing is since the permit parking i have not had this problem so either they have found somewhere to park in the hospital and paid or have made alternative arrangements to get there.

So where do people without driveways park or shouldn't they be allowed to have cars :wink:

This happens in Tokyo, you need to prove you have off street parking for your car before you can own one

Doubt I'll see it Diz; but when "total gridlock" finally arrives; it will be a case of having to. Folk will realise there's no alternative; but the Government will be driven into doing something, by the effect that congestion has on the economy, delays to business etc. You never know; corner shops may come back into fashion, even on "posh" housing estates; so folk can walk a hundred yards or so, to get their shopping?!

If Gridlock happens the ecconomy will claps, lots of people work outside the area they live.

Is it just me or are the part-time traffic lights on the roundabout on Midland way at the back of Cockhedge the biggest waste of space of all time?

Every time the lights are switched on it causes traffic chaos at busy times!

When I wrote a similar post no one was interested :cry:

There was a period of time when everytime I passed the area there was a crash. Which is nothing new as I see several accidents a day when I am driving, more when I cycle but t6hese  were on the opposite carrageway

The Battersby Lane roundabout was choker today; seemed like most of the traffic was backing up from Bridge Foot?  The biggest culprits for the blockage, were those drivers who entered the roundabout, without their intended exit being clear, thus blocking traffic flows to other exits. (The biggest cause of snarl ups these days imo). The guy operating the T/lights on CCTV must have been an ace with a train set, cos he seemed to get things moving !

Hi to everyone, posted here a few times before a year ot three ago, forgot my user name now and password so reregistered

We are getting another lot on Winwick road when the new entrance to the Alban opens. The new development on Fordton will only clog those lights up further as well.

I was only thinking the other day, Widnes, St Helens and the T Centre have only 2 sets of lights from the nearest motorway to parking in the town. Anyone want to work out Warrington from the M62 or M56?

Now the retail park is expanded not sure why they do not put a entrance in off Cornwell Ave and exit onto Hawley Lane. Off course Hawley lane could do with widening but it could do with widening anyway

Sticking another set of lights up seems like the cheap option but not the best solution especially if they will be operational 24/7 when the stores are shut, like the B&Q lights.

:lol:  :lol:   It's the bottom line Baz; not enough road space to take the volume of traffic. They can't keep increasing "road space" as the built environment prevents it;

That is why planners should ensure they maximize road space/usage. In Warrington they seem to think sticking traffic lights up on every corner is the way to do it

Putting in a one way system around Warrington and done with some care could increase flow of traffic and eliminating bottle necks like over the Mersey.

Reopening Bridge St and Winwich Rd at peak times i.e. between 8 and 10, 4 and 6 (the town is quiet anyway between these times) would further free up traffic. However it would mean demolishing/moving the Skittles!!!!

Steve, stuck at the lights for three or four cycles trying to get out of Tescos (turning right into town) the other week.... too many lorries coming through the town centre which then add an even bigger snarl up to the snarl ups already snarling up..... Maybe a rush hour ban on heavy goods vehicles might help? There is a ban on Long Lane so why not extend it to the whole town?

The traffic management system in the town is a complete and utter shambles though and something needs to be done.... it has always been true that traffic flows better when the lights break down on most of the roundabouts in the town and the situation where you drive through the town at 3am and get stopped at virtually every set of lights from the M6 to Westbrook has happened to me on many occasions.... Why not turn them off at night? Would save electricity if nothing else!

But you wouldn't say ban HGVS  at certain times if you had been working probably a 12 hour shift to make sure that someone in Warrington had the ability to go to a shop & buy whatever they needed at any given time of any day. One problem with traffic is one person per car on the daily commute....a car can hold four people so workers in town get your thinking caps on & start car sharing if possible. Maybe the council could even promote car sharing.

Steve, stuck at the lights for three or four cycles trying to get out of Tescos (turning right into town) the other week.... too many lorries coming through the town centre which then add an even bigger snarl up to the snarl ups already snarling up..... Maybe a rush hour ban on heavy goods vehicles might help? There is a ban on Long Lane so why not extend it to the whole town?

The traffic management system in the town is a complete and utter shambles though and something needs to be done.... it has always been true that traffic flows better when the lights break down on most of the roundabouts in the town and the situation where you drive through the town at 3am and get stopped at virtually every set of lights from the M6 to Westbrook has happened to me on many occasions.... Why not turn them off at night? Would save electricity if nothing else!

Again I feel the tesco entrance and exit are badly designed in my view, why did they not use the closed off section off winwich rd for an exit/ entrance to the supermarket is beyond me

As for a lorry ban what times would you have a lorry ban?#

Where would you park up the lorries?

How would you like to pay for these bans, goods that cost more, rates, taxes?

But you wouldn't say ban HGVS  at certain times if you had been working probably a 12 hour shift to make sure that someone in Warrington had the ability to go to a shop & buy whatever they needed at any given time of any day. One problem with traffic is one person per car on the daily commute....a car can hold four people so workers in town get your thinking caps on & start car sharing if possible. Maybe the council could even promote car sharing.

Car sharing is a good idea in theory.

When I worked for Shell I tried to organise a car sharing scheme but so many people worked different hours,and days that it never got off the ground