Plain packets?

observer

The Canadian Second Mate on my ship tells me that the result of plain packaging in Canada (they still have the gruesome pictures of disease on them in Canada) is that people ask for them by disease rather than brand. Stupid idea which will have the manufacturers and fake manufacturers rubbing their hands.

Sadly for you, this really isn't a joke.  You can defend your addiction until you are blue in the face which is exactly what you will be if you contract emphysema due to your dependency to cigarettes.  I have seen a man who died of his horrid disease and it was traumatising to observe. 

a link to facts

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Sadly for you, this really isn't a joke.  You can defend your addiction until you are blue in the face

I don't smoke, haven't had a cigarette for well over a quarter of a century. It doesn't alter the fact that all this vilfication of smokers isn't working. If the government was serious about forcing people to stop smoking they would ban it altogether. But the loss of tax revenue would hurt too much!

• Upvote 1

I don't smoke, haven't had a cigarette for well over a quarter of a century. It doesn't alter the fact that all this vilfication of smokers isn't working. If the government was serious about forcing people to stop smoking they would ban it altogether. But the loss of tax revenue would hurt too much!

On this we agree, a ban would suit me fine.

Most of the smokers I know are using e-cigs at least part of the time - not because they want to eventually give up nicotine (which is about as harmless a drug as it's possible to get) but mainly for reasons of cost and because you can smoke them in pubs.

They're also getting the spin off benefit that they're not taking in as much of the tars and nasty chemicals, but that isn't generally their primary motivation because they still have a "real" fag every now and then.

So does the EU and NHS want to encourage this positive (albeit largely unintentioned) health benefit, which has caused a greater reduction in total cigarette smoking than all of their education campaigns and scare tactics have in the past 40 years?

No, they want to classify e-cigs as "tobacco products", restrict their sale, restrict their use, and tax them to the same price as cigarettes, despite the fact that NO tobacco is used in the manufacture of e-cigs and vapour fluids!

Most of the smokers I know are using e-cigs at least part of the time - not because they want to eventually give up nicotine (which is about as harmless a drug as it's possible to get) but mainly for reasons of cost and because you can smoke them in pubs.

Nicotine chemically changes the brain in a similar way to heroin and cocaine. Nicotine adversely affects EVERY major system in the human body. Nicotine disrupts normal neurotransmitter activity.  Nicotine increases heart rate and raises blood pressure. Nicotine prohibits proper blood circulation and is the number one cause of erectile dysfunction, and nicotine prevents the body from properly disposing of damaged cells, thereby allowing cancer cells to develop. ................... well give me heroin any day :roll:  :roll: 

Or could it be that Robbo's post is complete rubbish?

Yes, nicotine increases heart rate and blood pressure - but then so does excerise!

Yes, nicotine causes chemical changes in the brain - so too does excerise when the body releases endorphins!

Erectile Disfunction? One word - cyclists!

Despite the best efforts of the anti-smoking lobby over the past 40 years, there is NO evidence that nicotine itself is harmful in any way at all.