Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lt Kije

Soldiers or Terrorists

Recommended Posts

Kije, as Clauswitz said " war is the pursuit of policy by other means" - I don't believe one should engage in it, other than in defence of one's Country; but once engaged in, it's imo about the elimination of the enemy by any means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why you aimed that at me, but if that is what you believe, I think the IRA would agree with your statement, but for me, blowing up children is wrong by whatever side does it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
but for me, blowing up children is wrong by whatever side does it

 

don't think the British army blew up children...... that was the IRA scum as I recall and I would have thought that any right minded person would have stopped at nothing to stop that happening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kije, high explosives don't  distinguish between military targets or civilians; hence war is an abomination and shouldn't be entered into lightly; despite the modern propaganda about highly accurate weaponry. It is frankly impossible to sanitize a war zone to the point of eliminating any risk to civilians. However, in the topic you started, we're talking about the precise targeting of the enemy IE. elimination by close quarter shooting; which should reduce the risk to non-participants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Obs, the Americans have just come out with some stats on the drones they use, you know the ones, they are what you keep harping on about, less than 30% target hit rate! I would like to know what they are hitting the other 70% of the time. Not as good as first thought, you might have to rethink your statagy on precise targeting of terrorists.

 

Sadly if we want the job doing it's going to mean boots on the ground, and the least are armed services should expect is the best gear for the job the government have asked them to do. no British soldier should die because he has the wrong equipment for the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need "for a rethink" Kije:  I never claimed drones were that "precise"; they are precise enough to demolish the house that "the target" is in; so his family and friends would no doubt be collateral damage; they may even select the wrong house, but that's a matter for improved intelligence. Alas, all preferable imo, to hundreds of our young servicemen being killed "on the ground", in futile actions in far flung places.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Irish Republic is a Catholic state in that some of its laws follow the Catholic doctrine ie abortion

Going by that criteria, states such as Saudi Arabia, Iran and even the UK until recently, could be called Catholic States!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't you read your own statements?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then why are you asking why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...