Soldiers or Terrorists

Lt Kije

but for me, blowing up children is wrong by whatever side does it

don't think the British army blew up children...... that was the IRA scum as I recall and I would have thought that any right minded person would have stopped at nothing to stop that happening

Kije, high explosives don't  distinguish between military targets or civilians; hence war is an abomination and shouldn't be entered into lightly; despite the modern propaganda about highly accurate weaponry. It is frankly impossible to sanitize a war zone to the point of eliminating any risk to civilians. However, in the topic you started, we're talking about the precise targeting of the enemy IE. elimination by close quarter shooting; which should reduce the risk to non-participants.

I agree Obs, the Americans have just come out with some stats on the drones they use, you know the ones, they are what you keep harping on about, less than 30% target hit rate! I would like to know what they are hitting the other 70% of the time. Not as good as first thought, you might have to rethink your statagy on precise targeting of terrorists.

Sadly if we want the job doing it's going to mean boots on the ground, and the least are armed services should expect is the best gear for the job the government have asked them to do. no British soldier should die because he has the wrong equipment for the job.

No need "for a rethink" Kije:  I never claimed drones were that "precise"; they are precise enough to demolish the house that "the target" is in; so his family and friends would no doubt be collateral damage; they may even select the wrong house, but that's a matter for improved intelligence. Alas, all preferable imo, to hundreds of our young servicemen being killed "on the ground", in futile actions in far flung places.

• Upvote 1