Cost of Living?

observer

We hear a lot about the "cost of living", with folk being milked for essential services, but it seems it doesn't end there. Seems the "cost of dying" is assuming astronomical proportions too, well over £2grand, with everyone involved able to name their price, from Council, Funeral Directors, Vicars and even Doctors. EG: to open a grave (for the burying of ashes) £300 per vase; as I understand it, this involves removing then replacing a concrete cover - truly a RIP off. Time for regulation?

What happens if you can't afford to make an exit ?  I finished up paying £600 for the undertaker to take the body of my step children's Dad before they even got round to the actual funeral costs. What if everyone refused to pay ? They can't leave everyone rotting in the street. It is scandalous that people are held over a barrel during probably the biggest crisis they have ever had to handle.

These figures were for Feb 2011, I can't find any up to date ones, anyway thank your lucky stars you don't live (or die) in the London area.

Figures published by Sun Life Direct show that the average cost of arranging a funeral in 2010 was £6,801 – a fall of 4.2% or £297 less than it was in 2009. This was because discretionary costs fell from an average of £2,156 in 2009 to £1,745 in 2010 – the first fall since the company started annual surveys in 2004.

But the overall decrease masks a small rise (4.5%) in the costs of the non-discretionary costs, pushing the basic cost of a funeral up to £2,857. Doctors' fees, funeral directors' costs and an increase in burial and cremation costs have all risen..

The survey reveals cremation costs have risen by 5.4% and burial costs 7%, making a burial £800 more expensive, on average, than cremation. Most funerals in the UK (80%) are cremations – at an average cost of £2,546 – with burials costing £3,168. There are substantial regional variations.A burial in London costs£4,772 while in the north west of England it costs £2,745, the cheapest.