Most inconvenient.

P J

Report here http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/10805242.Hate_crime_on_the_rise_in_Warrington/ Police say it's not a concern, and say the increase is due to people having the confidence to come forward and talk to the Police, which is a good thing

Correct Lt, the police did make a statement to that effect, however if you read the complete article it does not present a pretty picture, in my view the police do have to make such a statement as to state other wise would only inflame the situation!.

I have read the full article algy, and find it funny how people can come up with something that the article didn't say. The writer was very careful when he wrote it, it seems Baz and yourself can read what he didn't actually write. Is it any wonder people end up with a distorted view, when the article was mis reported.

I have read the full article algy, and find it funny how people can come up with something that the article didn't say. The writer was very careful when he wrote it, it seems Baz and yourself can read what he didn't actually write. Is it any wonder people end up with a distorted view, when the article was mis reported.

Lt, I did not come up with something the article didn't say, writing or printing on paper or any other medium cannot say or speak, it is stated, it was merely my interpritation on something that was stated in a newspaper, I'm not stating I am right or wrong, merely my opinion, take it or leave it my friend.

Isn't it true that the term "hate crime" is quite a new thing? Previously if someone was attacked for any reason - mugging, drunken argument etc - the ethnicity of the perpetrator or victim wasn't brought into it. So my point is that surely this would be a reason why "hate crime" would appear to be on the increase?

I don't think riots were mentioned Asp.

So Lt, to use your and the Police logic, because the victims of these hate crimes are now coming forward, both you and the Police think that the increase is nothing to be concerned about, so that means that if they did not report the attacks then that would be something to be concerned about, tell me how would anyone know if these people had been attacked if it had not been reported, silly me!, of course the police have a crystal ball, perhaps they borrow it from you. :roll:

Here is the copy of the actual report from the Warrington Guardian.

HATE crime is on the increase in the town, with racist abuse the biggest problem, according to latest police figures.

A freedom of information by the Warrington Guardian has revealed attacks surrounding race, religion, disability, and sexuality are on the up.

There have been 191 hate crime incidents this year, up until September. Thirty people were arrested, with 19 charged.

That is the same figure as the whole of 2012, and one more than in 2011, when 18 were charged.

Since October 2010, 114 hate crime arrests have been made, with 63 suspects charged.

The youngest was 11, and the oldest 61.

The most common form of offending is racist threats, abuse and slurs.

Police say the increase is not cause for concern and blame it on victims of hate crime gaining confidence to come forward.

Sgt Lee Harrison, from Cheshire Police, said: “Cheshire Police welcomes the increase in reports of hate crime because we believe we are increasing the confidence of people in reporting it.

“Without a doubt racism is the biggest problem that gets reported.

“There also issues with domestic incidents, criminal damage, assaults and graffiti.

“We have put in a lot of work around action over hate crime to tackle this issue.”

However, some attacks were more serious.

In December 2010, a 25-year-old man was arrested for racially or religiously aggravated GBH.

A 28-year-old man was arrested for the same offence in January 2012, and a 43-year-old man was arrested for racially aggravated beating.

An 11-year-old boy was arrested in August 2011 for beating a 43-year-old woman, while in November 2012 two women - aged 24 and 31 - were arrested for racially or religiously aggravated assault.

This year, four arrests have been made for beating and assault that was racially or religiously aggravated.

Police work with partners like Warrington Borough Council to encourage victims to speak out.

“There is now a single point of contact, a sergeant in each neighbourhood unit, to deal with hate crimes,” said Sgt Harrison.

“We did this in order to identify victims and make sure they are supported properly.

“It’s all about finding vulnerable people and making sure we take the right approach.

“I’d encourage anyone to report any incident of hate crime.”

To report hate crime call police on 101.

Yes silly you,

The numbers of hate crime could have been steady for years, the only difference now being they are now being reported, similar thing is domestic violence, it never used to be reported, more women are now reporting it to the Police, under your logic we would have a crisis, it is only in very recent history that women have had the confidence to come forward, it's the same for hate crime.

See if you can get the figures for domestic violence for Warrington. :wink:

“There is now a single point of contact, a sergeant in each neighbourhood unit, to deal with hate crimes,”

“Without a doubt racism is the biggest problem that gets reported.

Now don't get me wrong here....racism is not very nice at all, but why are the Police throwing resources like a sergeant in every neighbourhood just to deal with hate crimes and why do they class hate crimes as "the biggest problem that gets reported"? Surely they should be throwing the same level of resources at things like burglary and violent crimes?

Most incidents now that involve theft or damage or antisocial behaviour are dealt with by means of an incident number...."take this number, call the insurance company; now go away please" seems to be the attitude.

• Upvote 1

Without sounding racist or alarmist, we need to welcome our next wave of Eastern European guests with great caution.....the people we can expect here may include some of Europe's most ruthless criminals who will see Britain as the soft touch it is. We already see our creaking welfare system struggling to cope with its present customer base because ,with the best will in the world & despite what politicians tell us, there is more being paid in outgoings than revenue received into the system. The  British economy is on its knees because of this  & the type of jobs to get people off the dole are not on offer to the majority....zero hours & temporary agency work are not a carrot to get people off benefit  when travel to work cost can be so expensive especially to a long term claimant who has had to cut right back in order to pay crippling energy & utility bills. I would go so far as to say that if our current benefit system was not so comprehensive then we would see so much more crime & not by hardened criminals but by desperate people just trying to survive.

Davy to be fair you make some good points, but the report that started this thread says, the immigrants are having a positive effect they are paying more in NI and tax than they are paying out, are benefit system would be in more trouble without them as they are net contributors to the system at the moment.

Alas i have been on my jollies, but  surely, if these immigrants who are contributing were replaced by people off our benefit system  then our corresponding number of contributors would come off the claimant figures thus giving some credence to claims that the economy is improving.

One wonders how many Immigrant Colonies were visited in the so-called research by these academics to amass their data? Those in menial work will be BELOW the tax threshold for starters; washing cars etc won't pay that much. There is no requirement to "have a job" in order to come here from the EU, so they'll be job seekers, assuming they bother and the illegals awaiting asylum appeals are NOT allowed to work, so won't be paying any tax or NI, just consuming legal aid through their appeals. As I've said, they've just looked at the professional jobs and tried to apply their findings to the lot - propaganda I'm afraid. All immigrants will require health and education, and other services for their families.