Are UK motorists in danger of paying far more than we do now for our fuel.

algy

Are UK motorists in danger of paying far more than we do now for our fuel, every day independant petrol stations are closing down due to the four major supermaket chains undercutting private retailers regarding fuel prices, each week these inependent petrol stations closing at an alarming rate due to the fact they can no longer compete with Tesco, Asda, Morrisons and Sainsbury's. A petrol tankers load of fuel exceeds £50K in value (the government cream off 50%+ in tax)., a private retailer has seven days from delivery to pay the bill for their load of fuel, the major supermarkets have far longer due to the amount they are purchasing daily from the refinery, agin they don't receive the dicounts for receiving one load that the supermarkets receive, no wonder they have to charge higher prices and are going out of business, it's only a matter of time before the 'Big Four' gain total monoply  of selling petrol to the motorist, THEN WATCH THE PRICES ESCALATE!.

Thought that's how "the market" operates Alg;  last man standing gets to name his prices !

Unfortunately obs, that is how the market operates and unfortunately it is the consumer that suffers, mainly because the population of this country are either totally unaware as to what is happening or too apethetic (including myself) to raise their voices and do something about it!.

It can’t be all that bad for the independents because there are two on Manchester Road that have closed and reopened. The former Elf garage opposite the cemetery is now an Esso franchise and the Texaco at Woolston is now just totally independent selling who knows what petrol.

I saw something on telly last week that was quite interesting where rural garages that really can’t do the sales volume are being given concessions by the government to enable them to sell at lower prices to attract custom. Some of these are the only petrol stations for fifty miles so need to stay in business just to serve the local community.

Bill :)

The supermarkets are hardly likely to conspire to artificially inflate petrol prices - as you say they already undercut the independents, and they all sell petrol at a loss in order to encourage shoppers into their stores. They compete with eachother to shave every decimal point of a penny they can off the price of a litre of fuel just to get the footfall through their doors.

If there ever were to be a cartel situation then the rewards on offer to the first of the supermarkets to break ranks (EVERYONE shopping in their stores) would ensure that it fell apart immediately.

you buy your fuel at one supermarket and then drive to another to get your shopping? If you do I bet you're in a minority.

Asp, I don't think obs meant that i certainly don't, I think drivers would fill their tank at a supermarket at 127.9p/ltr rather than an independant at 144.9p/ltr as was the case with me yesterday.