Gang of Six

Eagle

The Chairmen of Warrington, Hull, Hull KR, Huddersfield and Catalan have joined the selfish Wigan barsteward in walking out of the RFL meeting to confirm the new structure. 

If the RFL shows some bottle for a change, the greedy six will soon be playing in their own league in front of ever diminishing crowds.

The Chairmen of Warrington, Hull, Hull KR, Huddersfield and Catalan have joined the selfish Wigan barsteward in walking out of the RFL meeting to confirm the new structure. 

If the RFL shows some bottle for a change, the greedy six will soon be playing in their own league in front of ever diminishing crowds.

Do you really know enough about this meeting and the implications to be able to comment with an indepth knowledge of what went on ?

I certainly do not and I eat sleep and breath the game.

Only what is reported in the media, but it is pretty obvious that these six don't like the proposed changes but are happy to walk out rather than lose a vote. Not very democratic, the RFL should have had the vote and noted six abstentions but of course that would have required bottle.

Only what is reported in the media, but it is pretty obvious that these six don't like the proposed changes but are happy to walk out rather than lose a vote. Not very democratic, the RFL should have had the vote and noted six abstentions but of course that would have required bottle.

They wouldn't actually have lost. SL rules state that a majority of 11-3 is needed to change the status quo. Note also that London were in the vote, despite the fact that there is considerable doubt as to whether they will exist next year. Would you vote for a proposal put forward by an organisation that can't even produce a main sponsor for its premier competition. 

note also that none of the 6 has made a comment re the matter to the Press. All the shouting has come from Gary Hetherington, who, strangely enough was shouting his mouth off about the lack of direction from the RFL back in 2011, which is exactly one of the main sticking points now.

• 1 month later...
They wouldn't actually have lost. SL rules state that a majority of 11-3 is needed to change the status quo. Note also that London were in the vote, despite the fact that there is considerable doubt as to whether they will exist next year. Would you vote for a proposal put forward by an organisation that can't even produce a main sponsor for its premier competition. 

note also that none of the 6 has made a comment re the matter to the Press. All the shouting has come from Gary Hetherington, who, strangely enough was shouting his mouth off about the lack of direction from the RFL back in 2011, which is exactly one of the main sticking points now.

Perhaps one of the reasons for lack of sponsorship is that the premier competition is not regarded by potential sponsors as all that special in the grand scheme of things. I do not know the ins and outs of the current squabble but I suspect it is the usual situation of the bigger clubs wanting to control the agenda in their own short term interest.

Warrington are now one of the bigger clubs but let us not forget when our best young players were cherry picked and we nearly went under and, latterly, we have done the same to Salford, Wakefield et al.                                                        The game is structured to keep control in  the hands of the bigger clubs meaning the same names keep appearing on  all the trophies and the RFL exercise no control  at all. We have seen favourable bias shown in disciplinary measures, Wigan breaking the salary cap and getting a slap on the hand and so on and so forth. Wigan who arguably have had more influence on the game than any other club managed to go from owning one of the best grounds in the league to being tenants of Wigan Athletic and one of the main protagonists involved in this brilliant transition was also Chairman of the RFL for a while. Wigan may have been all conquering but at what price? Hardly a paradigm for proper management of any organisation. Wigan should have been relegated for breaking the salary cap for The RFL to have any credibility but, for whatever reason, they bottled it.

Perhaps if the RFL had some teeth and the Super League became a level playing field where every game was closely contested, instead of the province of half a dozen clubs which are all bolstered by rich backers, sponsors might find it more attractive. I am a lifelong Wire fan but you will have guessed that I think The Super League aint all that super. 

PS In spite of my remarks about Wigan I am not a pie hater