Price caps or more tax?

observer

I do not agree with the tactics the unions used during the dispute, but the fact that INEOS moved to Switzerland rather than pay UK tax tells you all you need to know, their is a saying " a fair days pay for a fair days work" INEOS have now proved they will do absolutely anything to maximise profits, Management like there's is the reason unions came into being in the first place. Asp the refinery is in profit and was the part of the complex that was not going to shut, the dispute was over new investment and who was going to pay for it, looks like the workers are now.

But they do pay UK tax don't they Kije? maybe not corporation tax (but which UK company doesn't try and avoid that??) But they pay every other tax I listed previously. You are just trying to throw a lefty slant to this by claiming Ineos do not pay tax; which they clearly do,,,, but that doesn't fit your argument so you ignore it as usual

The workers benefit by new investment by means of jobs and security so why shouldn't they contribute?

The usual claptrap from Lt kije and Obs. It is the DUTY of the directors to maximise profits in any legal way they can. They are only using the EU laws (so beloved of Lt Kije) to do so. As for your "fair days pay for a fair days work", where is that on the statute book? In my opinion (humble though it is) I work harder, and hold more responsibility, for my salary than a lot of people who get paid a lot more than I do. Not to mention those that do nothing and still get a living. You get paid what the market will bear, and if you don't like it you know where the door is. The unions don't help their workers any longer, they just help themselves as demonstrated by the high salaries they pay themselves.

Thanks for stating the obvious Asp: "duty of Directors to maximise profits", they are private sector business, part of the market place that deals in supply and demand, thus questions of morality and fairness have no place in it - not a criticism, just a fact - such is the nature of the beast. In a civilised society, it is thus left for Governments to apply means to ensure morality and fairness, in ensuring that "essential" services and commodities are available and affordable to all, regardless of their means. What we consider "essential" is open to opinion, but I would start with food and water, energy and shelter.