How to remember ?

observer

The rich bought themselves commissions in the Armed services Inky, there were good officers and there were very bad ones, the dislike comes from thinking they were born to rule, in those days you were promoted on who you new not on ability, a lot of good men were over looked because they did not go to the right schools or have the right connections, they kept the power and influence to their own social class, when they were injured they got better health care, they had all the advantages.

• Downvote 1

when they were injured they got better health care, they had all the advantages.

............. and when they got killed the advantages were?    Is a rich dead man better off than a poor dead man? 

You are sad jealous, vindictive bar steward, I bet you wanted the Axis to win the war.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Eagle sometimes you tape ally are a prat!!!!

Death is the great equaliser, but when they were injured they did get better treatment, I believe you should be promoted on ability not on your old school tie, or the fact that you bought a commission, I thought you would have felt the same sadly I was mistaken.

Inky Pete ,sorry to disappoint but i don't hate the rich or the upper classes ,i am happy with my life. There were, however ,plenty of "damn good shows" in that  war in order to take a few yards of muddy earth,probably to lose it again the following week. It certainly shouldn't be celebrated ,but  we need to remember not to do it again. Did people's lives need to be changed irreperably by  mustard gas, blindness, limbs blown off ,families left without fathers to satisfy a political whim caused by events in Sarajevo ?

An uncle of mine emigrated to Boston in the years before WW1 & when war was declared his first concern was to cross into Canada & volunteer & so he was shipped to Europe with a Canadian regiment where he thankfully survived the war intact .

It's easy to hate the rich just for being rich, but to claim - or even imply - that they paid a lesser price when defending our country is not just factually wrong, it's despicable and insulting. 

Hang on a minute inky!, I have never indicated that I hate the rich, and what ever your station in life 'a life lost is a life missed' , the wealthy parents of a son killed in action grieved for him exactly the same as the ordinary persons in the street grieved for their sons, what was glaringly different is that the wealthy parents would not miss the financial contribution that the lower class families missed when their son failed to return home, and those squadies that did return home had more hardships to face due to the massive unemployment after the war, the sons of wealthy families enjoyed a heroes welcome and more than likely continued the life of luxury that they had enjoyed before the war.

............. and when they got killed the advantages were?    Is a rich dead man better off than a poor dead man? 

You are sad jealous, vindictive bar steward, I bet you wanted the Axis to win the war.

Do you mean the Triple Alliance ?

In your haste to be a Richard Head you forgot the thread is on how to remember the fallen of WW1

I think you've all lost any sense of what this thread was all about. Next year we will be remembering the sacrifices our forebears, of all races, religions and (if you want to carry on with that ridiculous argument) classes made in a mindless war about nothing.

• Upvote 2

I think you've all lost any sense of what this thread was all about. Next year we will be remembering the sacrifices our forebears, of all races, religions and (if you want to carry on with that ridiculous argument) classes made in a mindless war about nothing.

Valid comment Asp!.

I have said this many times - I really don't know why I venture to this section of the forum as I become embroiled in pointless and futile drivel supported by point scoring and antler locking loony's (takes one to know one, I suppose) and after all the sabre rattling nothing is ever achieved. The topics start off sensibly enough then quickly degenerate into a quagmire of cliches and boring and at times incoherent dialogue most of which has been googled from the internet.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”- Dr Seuss.

or, as on this forum

"Sometimes the questions are simple and the answers are complicated." - Algy

There's a history of WW2, narrated by Lawrence Olivier on CH19; and I think there's been similar progs made about WW1.  So if such progs were shown in every school, youngsters might have an idea, as to why these things happened and the price paid by previous generations.

The World at War was very good and very informative,

There was also a program on a few months ago, people went round getting first hand accounts from the WW1 survivors and interviewed them all, these accounts were going to be put on line, I have not heard any more about it, but apparently they had been making tapes right up until the last one died.

If anyone has heard similar or know where to find the accounts could you please post a link.

Maybe they are only going to be available online closer to next years centenary Lt K as I know the project to digitise over 230,000 WW1 soldiers handwritten wills, wishes and thoughts which they kept in their pocket books is currently being done to coincide with the centenary.

There's a bit about that here with some snippets from some of their hand written wills and details about the soldiers and what they were like.  Quite moving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23861821  

There are a set of six videos on You Tube,  World War I in Colour is a documentary (6 x 50-minute episodes) made with the cooperation of the Imperial War Museum. I remember they were given free by collecting coupons with a national newspaper a few years ago, I remember buying the paper soley for the purpose of collecting the coupons and threw the unread paper in the bin without reading it, I don't read newspapers!. The same paper followed with a series on WW2.

Watch on line or download with a You Tube downloader.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=world+war+1+in+color+hd&oq=world+war+1+in+color+hd&gs_l=youtube.12..0.7976.9157.0.12108.3.3.0.0.0.0.300.731.0j1j1j1.3.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.a0Vd-rXoeWU

Here is Part 2 "Slaughter in the Trenches".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNdRUvtr2zM

• Upvote 1

Dizz, unfotunately that is how it was, I'm not sure how true it is but I think one scene in of the series shows British troops going over the top and charging toward enemy lines and was actually staged on Salisbury Plain and was shown to boost public moral, I have watched the sequence and the film is shot from an elevated position that would not have been realistically possible for a camera operater to have filmed without being exposed to enemy fire.

• 1 month later...

Christ Church, Wash Lane, Latchford want to mark the 100th Anniversary of WW1.

We have a Memorial Screen which replaces the original Screen destroyed in 1946 by a fire started by an air fitter of the Royal Naval Air Station, Stretton.

The original Screen bore the names of those of Latchford and Grappenhall who lost their lives fighting for King and Country during WW1.

We have record of these names and want to list them on a plaque and associate it with the Screen before the 100th Anniversary.

At the same time, we would like to list the names of those Service men and women of Latchford and Grappenhall who died during WW2.

Research will need to be done to list these names as we have no record of them at present.

Hill Cliffe Walker, I'm sorry you have not been acknowledged before now, I'm not sure where you would find the information that you require, is it worth getting in touch with the British Legion it's possible they may be able to help or perhaps point you in the right direction.