spiders

Coffee

• 3 weeks later...

:lol:  :lol: You are the sick one Sadako cos and had posted your reply 3 weeks after I bravely took and uploaded the pic I might have remembered doing it.

I clicked the topic to read and that damn spider popped up right slap bang on my screen and made me jump, I had my screen in zoom mode ha ha .   

Not seen any more since then though and I still haven't seen a horrid house spider indoors. 

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad as maybe they are just all lurking in the shadows biding their time :shock:

Oooh goosebumps now and looking around there are loads of places they could be, incuding down the back and sides of my computer desk where I sit. It's in an dark alcove with cosy dark spaces at the back and sides and there's no way of seeing behind it or moving/hoovering behind it without completely disconnecting and moving all the pc equipment and stuff EEK !! 

I was sitting at work two nights ago, reading this in a darkened corridor when a small spider walked down my screen. At first, I wasn't sure if it was a part of one of the posts or the real thing! Anyway, it now has a cozy little place in one of the little used cupboards so it can keep down the fly population for us.

DIzz and sadako, I found this on the net for you.

Despite the fact that most varieties of spider pose no threat to humans (and given the way they keep the insect population under control we should view them as allies) many people dislike, and even fear them.

In looking for a  natural spider repellent, I discovered that all spiders have their taste buds on the tips of their legs. There are certain natural oils they hate, including  citrus, lavender, peppermint, citronella, cinnamon, tea tree and cloves. This natural spider deterrent does wonders to combat an arachnid invasion, and with repeated use will help repel spiders year round:

• Add up to 5 drops of essential oil (lemon is my favorite and spiders detest it) and up to 5 drops of dish washing liquid to 1 qt. of water. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and shake well.
  • Spray the mixture on cobwebs, around doors and windows, around the lawn and garden and on any surfaces where spiders lurk. In addition to having a pleasant aroma, this mixture is nontoxic.
  • Oils may stain or cause spots, so be sure to test the mixture on a small section of carpet or upholstery before spraying an entire surface.
  • Reapply the spray once a week during peak "spider seasons."

Natural spider repellents have to be applied more often than pesticides, but they are safer for to use in your home and have a pleasant smell. Pots of mint and lavender inside your home on a sunny windowsill will also help deter indoor spiders. Or you can dust your window sills and furniture weekly with a lemon-scented cleaner to help deter spiders.

Thanks algy...much better that PJ's contribution. I am pretty sure that it is an urban myth and has not been proven.

I can cope with small spiders and don't actually mind tarantulas. The photo that Dizzy took made me shiver. I hate those spiders with the small bodies and long legs.

Not to be alarmist or anything but just read where a woman had to evacuate her house because of spiders. apparently they hatched out from a banana she had bought from Sainsburys. it turned out they were Brazilian wandering spiders and quite poisonous. Is on the sky news website.

http://news.sky.com/story/1163467/deadly-spiders-found-in-supermarket-bananas

Just thought I would share :| :neutral: :|

:shock:  :shock: That's bananas of the menu in the Dizzy household. 

My grandparents had a fruit and veg shop in Algernon Street and when my mum was young she wasn't allowed near the banana deliveries until they had been checked for spiders.

Mum always used to peel a banana and take the first inch of the top before eating or giving to us as she was told as a youngster that was where the eggs were sometimes laid.  We all still do that..

Probably a load of nonsense though.