Labour promises -

observer

I know they were "state run" Kije, before the Tories privatised them; but I was thinking about the argument over the Post Office privatisation, which seemed to imply the EU had rules on these matters now?

The sell off of the sub post office's was to comply with a competition  edict from the EU, but not sure if the Post Office is as some of our Euro partners major companies are practically state owned. Volkswagen and EDF for instance.

It's the Royal Mail that's up for sale, not the Post Office. Two different entities. The Royal Mail is being sold to comply with EU regulations.

The number of Post Offices was reduced by directive from EU to improve competition from other providers.  The Royal Mail is to be privatised to enable private finance to be used instead of tax payers money. I'm quite happy to pay for it as I think it is another privatisation too many.

Well, the theory was to introduce "competition" thus driving down prices; plus the ability to borrow on the open market. Doesn't seem to have happened though: the Banks were bailed out by the State, the Railways are still being subsidised by the State despite fares going through the roof; and energy prices just keep rising.

If you look at the link you will see what directives are involved. It would appear that privatisation (which was attempted by the last Labour government as well) would be the the best solution for the taxpayer. After all you can't keep financing a loss making business forever, and the reason why Royal Mail has gone from profitable to loss making is by complying with the EU postal services directives. Norway, however, has decided they aren't going to comply even though they allegedly have to.

Once you take the pensions out of the equation, Royal Mail makes a profit, they got into trouble over pensions when a certain Tory leader gave a pension holiday, wonder who that was.

The government have cut out pensions from the sell off, because nobody would touch them with it in, the tax payer is still going to be responsible and will end up paying for the pension black hole. So it is not as you said the EU are forcing the sell off, it's the government not investing, which has been the curse of the post office over many governments over the years including Mr Blair.

Lt Kije you are insinuating that the EU doesn't direct the vast majority of government policy in this country. You are wrong. Our government is making this decision because it is, in their judgement, the best way forward now that EU directives have made the Royal Mail a millstone around the country's neck.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lt Kije, I'm afraid that you will have to do a bit of research yourself and read the directives. The EU is too manipulative to come out and say something so bluntly. Have you never heard of "the ratchet"? This is the way that the EU manipulates policy by using directives that force member states to change their policies little by little to meet EU objectives, but done at such a pace that no-one really notices until it's too late. In this case the postal services were opened up to EU wide competition little by little until it became obvious that the Royal Mail was unable to continue as a profitable concern in its present condition. EU regulation forbids the government from subsidising the business which leaves it with little choice apart from, at least, part privatisation. Now ask yourself, would this have happened if we hadn't been part of the EU? As I said before, Norway, which is outside the EU in the EEA, has refused to have anything to do with these directives despite Call me Dave's assertion that Norway has to obey EU directives without question. Over to you Mr EU.

So what your really saying is opinion Asp, now I see, and yes I couldn't find where it told the government to privatise Royal Mail either, If you hadn't noticed Asp, Baz loves to play with reputations, but since I posted it someone else has been playing.

Kije.... you really are a buffoon.... Do you not think I have better things to do than mess with your reputation scores? especially when more people obviously agree with me than agree with you..... now go and play with your nuclear waste or whatever it is you do