Beware Millipede -

observer

To be fair to Millipede and Labour (and you won't hear that from me very often!) They aren't the only ones looking to pick your pockets to ensure their survival. In the real world political parties that couldn't support themselves by fund raising would die a much deserved death.

In honesty Obs, I have not got an opinion either way, I do not like how it's done now, but to be fair on Labour, the trade unions where they get most of their money from are democratic, the trust found managers that finance the Tory party are not. something has to be done. People and organisations are buying influence at the moment.

But if its done by the tax payer we will end up financing very small political political parties that otherwise would not of existed, the system we have now is to one to abuse.

That's the problem, it won't fund small Parties cos they'll have a vote threshold to keep it within the big three. Far from increasing the money supply (especially from tax-payers) to political Parties, they should be capping the amount they spend; after all most of the junk mail goes straight in the bin anyway, so a contribution to waste reduction. Enough to give them free TV slots at elections imo. Believe Asp, it's automatic unless the individual opts out. Mind you, we don't have an opt out on what we pay for goods to companies that support the Tories!

Kije.... what bloody planet are you on???? Trade Unions democratic???? you are 'avin a giraffe mate!

When it comes to Labour funding, a trade union gives its money to Labour.... it doesn't matter if a member wants it to go to Labour; it goes to Labour. That has been the same since eons ago. When I was a sparky on sites, I couldn't work without being a member of the union.....you just couldn't get on site without a union card. In fact, Crosfields and Levers were one of the worst for the closed shop. A percentage of my contributions went to Labour. I would poke my eyes out with a red hot poker before I would vote Labour... so democracy ended at the door with that one.

The problem is; no sane person wants any more tax money to be handed over to the thieving political parties and their lying members... but equally there are problems with donations and the expectations and the ulterior motives behind someone giving a million quid to a political party...... there is no easy answer. Maybe what they should do is have an opt in donation tick box on everyone's tax return or benefit book so they can voluntarily donate if they want to. Trouble is, could the parties manage with £3.87 each off the ones who agree to donate?

• Downvote 1

What a load of crap, when did unions organise fares on trains????

oh you silly little man.... try and follow the thread; I was responding to Obs nonsensical quip about opting out of paying for goods made by Tory supporting companies with my own little quip.... Maybe I should have put a :lol:  or a :P  after it or maybe not used such big words so you would understand :lol:

Baz, I'm sure you could google up a list of Tory corporate donors. Where do they get the money from? Out of the profits that customers provide, so no opt out at the check out. As for TU donations, all new members are provided with the opportunity to "opt out", it was a Tory made law. Getting back to my original point, it's simple, just cap their spending, then they don't need as much money - sorted.