Help quick.. Fish advice before he dies :(

Dizzy

Anyone know owt about goldfish (or fresh water fish).

To cut a long story short (well ok this wont be short)..

....our 15 year old goldfish (won at the fair many years ago) who has been happy and healthy for all his life is today suddenly gasping for air with his head virtually out of the water and mouth wide open.  He's never done that before !!

He hardly ever used to be cleaned out (gross I know but he liked it like that and the water never smelt or anything) but about 3 weeks ago I bought him a lovely new tank and it suddenly smells weird today, looks cloudy and like I say he's  now  gasping at the top.  I put some of his old water and stones in when I transferred him to his new tank as I know bacteria helps keep water balanced.

Anyway... and I know I'm rambling... but need to give all info as maybe he wont survive the night :(

I did a 20% water change earlier today but it made no difference so went to a pet shop and they advised bought a water tester, ammonia meds and other stuff.  Water tester showed HIGH level of ammonia.  I've put the ammonia meds in three times now at 2 hour intervals and so far it's not made any difference and he's still gasping at the surface.  I've also put oxygenating tablets in the water.

Anything else I can try as the pet shop said under no circumstances change any more of the water but surely if his water is bad he needs to be out of it ? 

His old tank used to be on a sideboard where he had direct natural sunlight for a few hours a day... new tank is in a fireplace recess where no direct natural sunlight gets... is that the  problem ?

HELP QUICK ... and YES I know some of you will probably laugh and say it's only a blummin' goldfish but I don't care !! 

I'm sure it's had a wonderful life, Diz, but you may just have to prepare yourself for the worst here.

As a last resort though, you might try a pea in the water (not yours, obviously, and preferably frozen and crushed just enough to break the skin).

If it doesn't revive the fish, at least it's enjoyed some greeny goodness before meeting its, er, nemosis.

Dizz, have you a rain water butt, empty the tank water and refill with rainwater. Goldie may be suffering from the effects of water contamination, we always fill a large glass jug with water and place it in the fridge to chill, nice to drink during the hot weather especially if you add cordial, this last week we have found that when drinking the chilled water it has a strong taste of iodine and for the time being have ceased chilling the water, probably United Utilities have been carrying out maintenance on water mains and added treatment chemicals. Good luck!.

do you have a air pump and an aeration bubbler to bubble air through the water, also check the temp. it may be too warm for the water to retain enough oxygen. warmer water retains less oxygen than cooler water. if you have a water filter that can help as well or if you have one of those household ones try using water that has been through that.

This is often a sign that the water quality is poor, it lacks oxygen. A water filter/fountain helps enormously, not only by filtering the existing water, but water re-entering through a fountain or water feature also adds oxygen. Adding some oxygenating plants also helps. In a garden pond situation in hot humid weather leaving a hose pipe on a fine spray across the surface for a while will also add oxygen and freshen up the water. 

Thanks everyone (although I'm still trying to decide if Fugs was joking about putting a pea in)

He's still alive this morning but still gasping at the top.

We've not got a water butt Algy and neither have any of our neighbours so that's out.

Evils and Middlec...I'll go and buy one of those air pumps and a filter like you suggest.

Blimey I spent over £20 on the other stuff yesterday, he'd better not pip his clogs after I've bought a pump too.

PS Wolfie... no way would I ever have another goldfish :P

Do I believe you ?... still not sure :lol:   I'll google :P

Good news (well I think it is unless he's scared stiff by everything going on in his tank at the moment)..... but Tom the goldfish is no longer gasping for air at the water line.  After going frantic for a few seconds when I switched both devices on he's now just pottering around slowly in the corner but under water).

Air stone bubbler is on, a filter is in and its waterfall bar feature is working.

Not sure I can cope with the waterfall filter though as the tanks right near my pc and it's like being sat with a tap permenantly on and it's making me want to wee :oops:  :lol:

I suspect your fish is just getting old and gasping for air after the shock of the water change and new environment. Imagine if you took an old codger out of his peaceful nursing home and sent him to the moon!!!

The pump will prolong his life for a while - but don't hold your breath!!

The water is not "in balance" the grotty old water was but by trying to be kind to Goldie I think you have actually done him/her a dis-service.

I'm not absolutely certain what the proportions of chemicals in a fish tank are supposed to be but I have been reliably informed that there needs to be a period of settlement. I learnt this, to my cost, when I tried to do a similarly helpful transfer of my young sons tropical fish.

Some of them, unfortunately, died.

He has yet to forgive me!

I suspect your fish is just getting old and gasping for air after the shock of the water change and new environment. Imagine if you took an old codger out of his peaceful nursing home and sent him to the moon!!!

The pump will prolong his life for a while - but don't hold your breath!!

Toms not getting old he's only 15 and 'Lady' our fish from when we were little, also won at the fair, lived longer than him in an outside pond through many hot summers, harsh winters, iced over ponds and what ever  .. I seem to remember a heron ate her in the end though but they can't get in my house so Tom still has a chance   :cry:   :P

Thanks for the last sentence though Gary.... you evil man :(:lol:

RockC.... that's pretty much what the local pet shop in the village said today.  They were closed yesterday which is why I had to go to the other one.

It's a bit like a science lab here at the moment with me testing water, filters and air pumps on but it seems to all be working and the ammonia level is now dropping too :)  I do have to do slight water changes every two days and also leave the new water for 24 hours if I can to settle.

Tom (the fish)  is non to happy that he's not been fed tonight though and gets all excited (as he always used to) when I go near the tank again which is a good sign.  Food = more production of ammonia by him and also uneaten food will alter the balance.

I feel so bad but it's for his own good :)  

I just hope my other half never finds out how much I've spent in two pet shops in just over 24 hours on one  goldfish and the dog as I might find my head being submerged into the fish tank EEK !!  Just short of £100 now .. Shhhhhh :wink: