Planning Revolution - for OAPs?

Pickles plans bungalow revolution

Eric Pickles will announce plans this week aimed at urging councils to build a new a new generation of bungalows as part of a planning revolution to create bespoke homes for people aged above 65. The Communities Secretary is to publish rules to make town halls match development to the type of accommodation needed locally to cater for the ageing population. Under the rules planners will have to ensure that they have enough properties of the right type, including clusters of bungalows that can be let only to older people.

Is this revolutionary?

Errm nope - just common sense, and it's all been done before. Q. is: who will own, build and manage them, how will they be integrated with the rest of the community (shops, transport, support services etc), and will they be pre-adapted (walk in showers etc), and finally, how will they fund their building, and will they actually get built? If the provision of "cheap" social housing via the planning process, is anything to go by - don't hold your breath.

I am, but this is better than nothing I suppose! Planning needs to cater for demographics and a growing demand. Developers will be seeking green field sites for detached family housing, rather than brown field sites for single units, and I'm not sure the planning system can hold them off?

The key terms are "let" & "means tested" ,any pensioner who has had the foresight to foolishly provide for him/herself  in terms of savings or private pension will probably only be able to peer in to these bungalows through the triple glazed windows !

• Upvote 1

In line with government policy I expect the applicants will be thoroughly means tested, some of those old buggers have nest eggs you know, in which case they'll need to have their pockets picked...

Some of the 'old buggers' do have nest eggs and most of them will have it safely deposited where means testing won't reveal where the nests are deposited :wink:, plus most of the 'old buggers' have had to work hard and long hours in worse conditions than some of the 'younger buggers' that have followed them, Oh! and most of the 'old buggers' don't keep their hard earned brass where government pickpockets can find it. :wink::D

• Upvote 1