Forum fishermen/women

wolfie

To those posters who like fishing.

I have a couple of friends who have told me that they no longer fish in Warrington because they feel threatened by the local yobs. They also won't allow their kids to fish as some youngsters have been thrown in by the same yobs. Is it really that bad?

I enjoy do enjoy fishing, only managed one session this year up to now though, and must admit I have never enjoyed fishing the Sankey canal around the Old Hall area for the reason you mention Wolfie and have felt like that for a few years now. The last thing you want is to feel threatened as the reason for getting out is to enjoy the peace and wild life, catching is secondary to me now, when I do get out I tend to use one of the numerous fisheries out in the countryside.

I walk the dog around that area regularly and take the kids but I've never felt threatened to be honest. I also regularly photograph around there too but again feel safe enough doing so. Do yobs target anglers for some reason in particular?

I walk the dog around that area regularly and take the kids but I've never felt threatened to be honest. I also regularly photograph around there too but again feel safe enough doing so. Do yobs target anglers for some reason in particular?

They tend to target the vulnerable PJ either old, young or handicapped and rob them of tackle, there is a lot of money in the second hand fishing tackle market, eg. carbon fibre poles can cost £1K to £3K new with rods anything from £30 to £200 although I honestly haven't heard of that happening around that area.

I haven't heard of this happening either but that doesn't mean it isn't. Some Dogs are now worth a lot of money too Algy as are cameras and phones and bikes etc. but again I've never heard of anyone having their belongings taken from them.

I haven't heard of this happening either but that doesn't mean it isn't. Some Dogs are now worth a lot of money too Algy as are cameras and phones and bikes etc. but again I've never heard of anyone having their belongings taken from them.

It a good few years since I fished there but I do remember a number of youths racing up and down the path on an old motor bike and I packed up and never returned.