They call this listening?

inky pete

The ASDA supermarket car park in town centre is also pay and display....

Yes but it's free for the first 2 hours if you get your ticket validated in Asda.  You are supposed to spend £5 in there though but if they haven't got the thing you went on for they will validate it  :wink: 

I've only ever paid once to park there.  Xmas and I'd been into town centre and was nearly 3 hours.  Ticket validated in Asda on the way back (so first 2 hours free) so only had to pay the lesser amount of 1 hour charge. 

What PJ's posts say :wink:

It's an interesting viewpoint given that we know what happens when the council is more interested in making a bit more money than supporting retailers. Makes you wonder why Tesco, Sainsbury's or Morrison's haven't decided to charge people 30p to park in their car parks to try to make a profit out of parking. Now why do you think that is?

Yes but it's free for the first 2 hours if you get your ticket validated in Asda.  You are supposed to spend £5 in there though but if they haven't got the thing you went on for they will validate it  :wink:

I've only ever paid once to park there.  Xmas and I'd been into town centre and was nearly 3 hours.  Ticket validated in Asda on the way back (so first 2 hours free) so only had to pay the lesser amount of 1 hour charge. 

But it is not free is it,  in Stockton Heath you have Morrisons which is actually free

The distance according to Google Maps is 0.2 miles from Morrisons to the Post Office in Stockton Heath, the distance from Asda to the Skittles is 0.2 miles and from Sainsbury 0.5 miles

Not sure that's what Inky said, you left off the bit 'which charge any fee'

Yes sorry

However where else in Warrington does the counil operate frree car parks for retailers, Latchford maybe but not sure who owns or arrangements are there.

It's an interesting viewpoint given that we know what happens when the council is more interested in making a bit more money than supporting retailers. Makes you wonder why Tesco, Sainsbury's or Morrison's haven't decided to charge people 30p to park in their car parks to try to make a profit out of parking. Now why do you think that is?

Because Tescos or Asda own the car park or pay for it to be operated for them, maybe the retailers of Stockton Heath and Ly mm should pay the council and so allow free parking.

You have to pay for car parking when shopping in Tesco Chester or used to.

Ourt of interest where is everyone from ?

Cockhedge is a privately owned car park hence the charges.

Places like St.Heath and Lymm are not somewhere to go just for one shop, but probably to trawl around a few. These things take quite a while and more often than not, people might want to stop for a coffee. they don't want to be clock watching in case they are over time.

Basically, the charges are a double whammy, because you are penalising the shoppers for using the local shops, and penalising the shop keepers by driving away trade.

My bank is in St.H and town. I avoid both because of the parking problems and use the internet, which more and more people are doing. Shopping on line. NOT good for the shops or the employees.

Coffee

The council already was making a profit from the car park before the changes. What they now have are local businesses telling them they are suffering as a result. These are largely locally owned businesses employing people and paying rates yet the council is hell bent on making life as difficult as possible for them. And they are doing it while knowing from their own experience how important the issue of parking is, the evidence of things like the Portas Report. The reason Tesco doesn't charge for parking is because, unlike Warrington Borough Council, they're not bloody idiots.

But it is not free is it,  in Stockton Heath you have Morrisons which is actually free

The distance according to Google Maps is 0.2 miles from Morrisons to the Post Office in Stockton Heath, the distance from Asda to the Skittles is 0.2 miles and from Sainsbury 0.5 miles

Coffee, not sure why you mention the distances etc.

Are you maybe suggesting that in future people can simply park on Morrisons free car park and walk into the village ?  I'm sure Morrisons will welcome that with open arms and wont mind at all (NOT). 

Before you know it they will start employing a car park attendant  like the one at Riverside so if you leave the car park on foot after parking you get slapped with a ticket.

Like I said none of it really makes any difference to me but I still wont be paying 30p to park there out of principle and to back the local traders who are being completely ignored !  :)

Coffee

The council already was making a profit from the car park before the changes. What they now have are local businesses telling them they are suffering as a result. These are largely locally owned businesses employing people and paying rates yet the council is hell bent on making life as difficult as possible for them. And they are doing it while knowing from their own experience how important the issue of parking is, the evidence of things like the Portas Report. The reason Tesco doesn't charge for parking is because, unlike Warrington Borough Council, they're not bloody idiots.

So the council have to get money from somewhere, they are getting less from central government, as you are trying to cut this revenue stream from them, how do you suggest they make up their short fall, you are seeing what you want to see and not the bigger picture, The Portas report more and more is being discredited , would you settle for more cuts in services ?Just playing devils advocate :wink:

The reason Tesco doesn't charge for parking is because, unlike Warrington Borough Council, they're not bloody idiots.

Yes but Tesco operate the car park for their benefit, the council need to balance needs over raising money. Not really supporting the council here but it is 30p or 50p, 50p is probably a quarter of a coffee or even a fifth!

Coffee, not sure why you mention the distances etc.

Are you maybe suggesting that in future people can simply park on Morrisons free car park and walk into the village ?  I'm sure Morrisons will welcome that with open arms and wont mind at all (NOT). 

Before you know it they will start employing a car park attendant  like the one at Riverside so if you leave the car park on foot after parking you get slapped with a ticket.

Like I said none of it really makes any difference to me but I still wont be paying 30p to park there out of principle and to back the local traders who are being completely ignored !  :)

Because it was suggested these North of the ship canal have free parking, pointed out these in Stochton Heath have equally free parking

You will be paying a £60 fine

Because it was suggested these North of the ship canal have free parking, pointed out these in Stochton Heath have equally free parking

You will be paying a £60 fine

Ahhh I get what you were saying now.

PS I wont be getting/paying a fine cos I'm not going to pay 30p because I wont be parking there anymore...simples :wink:

I was in Lymm today and decided to go and have a look in the village, I went to the car park at the Library and it was full. The traders will be no worse off hopefully.

Dizzy, I imagine that Asda Cockhedge will get fed up of folk blagging free parking by pretending that they haven't got what you want just as quickly as Morrisons will . Anyway, Morrisons is on our side of the canal so bugger off up your own end :wink:

I was in Lymm today and decided to go and have a look in the village, I went to the car park at the Library and it was full. The traders will be no worse off hopefully.

That's the spirit. Do something we know will harm the High Street and cross your fingers.  :P

The car park being full meant that I couldn't support the local businesses with my custom.  How come the car park is so full all the time ?  I saw no evidence of people being deterred from shopping, quite the opposite.  As I couldn't get a space I bought my lunch elsewhere and it was very nice too... 

Lymm needs more parking so get choosing what is to be demolished to make room for it :wink:

Ahhh I get what you were saying now.

PS I wont be getting/paying a fine cos I'm not going to pay 30p because I wont be parking there anymore...simples :wink:

So much for you supporting local business.

So where you going to shop?

Coffee None of that matters. The car park already makes a profit. The cost of parking is less important than the faff and the fact it discourages people from spending money with local businesses.

How is it making a profit, if people are rushing back before they have to pay?

Who shops at Stockton Heath/Lymm?, Guessing it's mostly local people from Stockton Heath/Lymm and nearby. 

I went into Manchester a few years ago, went shopping, had lunch, ended up in the Printworks cinema, watched a film and later had coffee in a coffee bar, came to pay £12.00 for parking, now that put me off Manchester!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :P  Now there's another question.  Why aren't there any big supermarkets south of the canal ?

Land prices, I guess and the fact it is more lucrative to build expensive houses for the well off people who can afford to live in Stochton Heath/Lymm but don't have 30p to park :) , Ok I know there is a council house in Stockton Heath but majority are not.

So the council have to get money from somewhere, they are getting less from central government, as you are trying to cut this revenue stream from them, how do you suggest they make up their short fall, you are seeing what you want to see and not the bigger picture, The Portas report more and more is being discredited , would you settle for more cuts in services ?Just playing devils advocate :wink:

What WBC are doing could be construed as being illegal unless they can show that every penny of profit goes towards other road projects such as pot holes etc.....

"Transport minister Norman Baker said: "The law is quite clear. Councils should not be pricing their parking in order to make a profit."

"Last week, the High Court ruled against Barnet Council's move to raise the cost of residents' parking permits in a landmark victory for campaigners.

Mrs Justice Lang ruled that the council acted unlawfully when it increased permit costs to generate more money for road maintenance."

Dizzy... I heard recently that Morrison's had a new store manager and he had clamped down on people from the old Greenalls offices from using their car park as an over flow so staff in the offices didn't go over there for lunch etc. and so lost quite a lot of business as a result from the few thousand people who work there

He has recently stated that he was now more than happy for them to park there...... loss of trade hurts even the big boys!!

Maybe they wont mind others parking there too then after all :wink:

I was just told about this ( Lymm Parking WBC FAQ )... I'm guessing the same rules currently apply in Stockton Heath Forge Car Park too.

See Point 7....... got you all ways at then at the moment it seems so even if you wanted to stay longer you can't.   

http://lymm.com/docs/faq-parking-lymm.pdf

According to figures published today that were obtained under the freedom of information, during the financial year 2011 to 2012, the council raked in £214,575 from parking fines at the sites across Warrington. The SH Forge car park being the highest contributor, netting £55,193 for the council.

What WBC are doing could be construed as being illegal unless they can show that every penny of profit goes towards other road projects such as pot holes etc.....

"Transport minister Norman Baker said: "The law is quite clear. Councils should not be pricing their parking in order to make a profit."

"Last week, the High Court ruled against Barnet Council's move to raise the cost of residents' parking permits in a landmark victory for campaigners.

Mrs Justice Lang ruled that the council acted unlawfully when it increased permit costs to generate more money for road maintenance."

No problem with that Baz, if they are making money off the back of us, they should be re investing it for our benefit.