What's wrong with the law?

observer

A 24yo driver was just sentenced to a 3yr driving ban by magistrates, for speeding down the M6 at up to 165mph. When sentence was passed, he is reported to have said - "I'll carry on driving, catch me if you can". Surely this represents contempt of court? It would seem appropriate for the magistrates to then amend the sentence to 3yrs in prison and a life ban, with incremental increases in prison sentences on any future case of him caught driving.

I blame the like of Clarkson and top gear. He can't have a car on that does less than 150mph which only encourages younger people to emulate his antics. as for the law it is farcical, especially when lawyers these days only have to hint at human rights breaches to get sentences halved or quashed altogether.

Recent example of a serial burglar with a serious drug habit that was sentenced to 9 1/2 years appealed and had his sentence reduced to 8 years as the top judges said he had been treated a "bit harshly".

it has always been seen that crime involving the theft of money or the fraud involving money carries an almost automatic custodial sentence, whilst property theft and even assault tends to be a slap on the wrist and "don't it again you little scamp" type of sentences.

I blame the like of Clarkson and top gear. He can't have a car on that does less than 150mph which only encourages younger people to emulate his antics.

Does watching Top Gear encourage people to drive fast? Really? You really, really, seriously believe that?

Do you believe in the tooth fairy too or that watching Psycho turned every motel owner into a serial killer?

I have watched car programmes all my life. I used to work for a company that built racing minis.... I have never been fined for speeding and never felt the need to emulate Clarkson....(except for a few times on the Autobahns !)

I drive a big, powerful car now and never ever speed on residential roads and religiously set the cruise control on 20 and 30 mph roads..... unlike the old woman who overtook me the other day coming up Cromwell Avenue.... not young; but very impatient 

Top gear is a light hearted bordering on comedy show and for the life of me I can't imagine anyone with an ounce of intelligence believing that anything on the show is for real, and finally I admit to enjoying every on of the Top Gear episodes especially the 1hr specials, theyr'e hilarious.

Avid Top gear fan.

Algernon aka algy.

PS. Mrs Algy hates it, and Clarkson with a vengeance.

Do you believe in the tooth fairy too

Well sort of,an anthropomorphic personification of an idea that there is a person/entity that will remove teeth that have fallen out and replace it with coin of the realm has been believed in by many many people for a very long time. What people believe in tends to exist. after all more people believe in the tooth fairy than believe in "GOD".

Yes you probably are a great fan of the show and it has not tempted you to drive like an idiot (well under normal circumstances) but some of the "young" drivers of today seem to think that driving at excessive speed is perfectly acceptable practice along with using a mobile whilst driving. Bluetooth headsets are cheap enough so that there should be no excuse for using the handset to receive calls whilst driving.

As for Clarkson and co he is an idiot (ok a rich idiot but still an idiot) and i do not see why my TV license money should be spent letting him get his jollies.

Now then this moron caught driving at 165 should have had the car crushed, does not matter if it was a hire car or not. It should have been confiscated and crushed on the spot leaving him to face a long walk to wherever he was going and the added cost of replacing it. That way he would never be able to hire a push bike like alone a car. But that would probably impinge on his human rights or something. 8)

Talking about the inconsistencies of the law & one of Clarkson's pet hates ,did anyone see the news article where the retired couple had spent a fortune on a top of the range touring caravan only to have it stolen from a  "high security" out of season  storage compound ? When it was found a few months later it was being lived in by a family of travellers  & the law deemed that it would be against the human  rights of these thieves to evict  & prosecute them.

The law surely is an ass !

It's the law that's an ass not the people enforcing it. Read the other day about a family who decided it was too hot to sleep, so they had a party in the front garden. Crates of ale, barbecue and loud speakers. At 4am the neighbours had had enough and called the police who asked them to turn the music down, but apparently the police can't force them to turn it down because it's a Council problem. 

Nothing wrong with the law in the uk but it seems a dentist can make a mess of your teeth but you are not allowed to rush into the surgery with  scaffolding pole and threaten the dentist for it. If you do you can get arrested and jailed for 12 months even if you apologise then leave without actually clonking the dentist with the pole.

Talking about the inconsistencies of the law & one of Clarkson's pet hates ,did anyone see the news article where the retired couple had spent a fortune on a top of the range touring caravan only to have it stolen from a  "high security" out of season  storage compound ? When it was found a few months later it was being lived in by a family of travellers  & the law deemed that it would be against the human  rights of these thieves to evict  & prosecute them.

The law surely is an ass !

Agreed, but wasn't it found 18 months later and the police had no proof that the family living in it were the ones who had actually stolen it. 

I seem to remember that the original owners had bought it on HP too and that they still have another two years of monthly instalments to pay until it's paid off.  Didn't they insure it then ??? 

Seems it's not only the law that can be an ass at times :wink: 

Between insurance policies ?  You would have thought they would have used their brains and overlapped the policies especially on one worth £30k.  It only takes a phone call for goodness sake.  No sympathy from me I'm afraid.