Speed Limits

Coffee

Speed limits imposed anonymously and dictatorily in Warrington are utterly ridiculous. 

There is little logic or sense applied to these limits. The naïve politically correct attitude for 20mph that is not manageable has cost council tax payers some £750,000  money that could and should have been spent on useful projects like road widening and congestion easing.

The stupidity of these limits is illustrated by the fact that most traffic ignores the most stupid impositions.

The artificial  road narrowing only creates congestion and is a complete waste of valuable road space. Such roads also cause unnecessary congestion and encourage dangerous driving .

The whole traffic management in Warrington is a disgrace and needs to be reviewed.

Cyclists should be fined for not using the expensive tarmac laid down in warrington  - tarmac that has spoilt the greenery and shrubbery and is an eyesore.

The whole traffic management in Warrington is a disgrace and needs to be reviewed.

First glance at that and I thought that it read:

"the hole called Warrington should be filled in"

:lol:  :lol:  but then again not such a bad idea. 

Reminds me of my younger days in Warrington town centre.  We used to always run full speed down the escalators from the top when they were going up.... and up the ones that were going down. 

No way could I do it now without being on the next episode of "you've been framed"  :lol:   

In fact that's just given me an idea as at a faster walking pace it would be possible and that could be a really good, and free, workout.  Hope the council don't cotton on or they might start charging for escalator use too   :lol:

Slightly tongue in cheek Coffee, but you do see the point? Why drive to the gym and pay to go on a treadmill when you could have a good walk out in the fresh air?

My gym has got a really good bar and restaurant, by the time I used them I do not feel like using the tread mill or walking home

Slightly tongue in cheek Coffee, but you do see the point? Why drive to the gym and pay to go on a treadmill when you could have a good walk out in the fresh air?

and instead of using the pool she could take a dip in the Mersey

The thing is people don't think they have had proper exercise unless it has cost them a lot of money to use expensive equipment.

I have no need to use an expensive gym. I walk my dog twice a day every day, admittedly at a slower pace than we used to, well he is nearing fifteen years old. I play bowls at last once week in the summer, so all the bending exercises the back and leg muscles, a game of bowls can last up to 27 ends and the best part of an hour or longer, the shortest distance walked between ends being 19 metres. Then add to that stairs in my house that are very steep so when I am not playing bowls or walking the dog, I am on my computer which is upstairs. every time I want a coffee or anything else it is a walk down the stairs and then a trek back up them, do that once an hour and the need for an expensive treadmill session is redundant.

Basically people are naturally lazy and need to go to gym's to give them the incentive to exercise, or they go to these "boot camps" and pay to get shouted at for not trying hard enough. And of course the main reason is that they can have something to talk about at work other than corrie or big brother. :twisted:

and instead of using the pool she could take a dip in the Mersey

I have taken a dip in the River Dee many times!!!

Basically people are naturally lazy and need to go to gym's to give them the incentive to exercise, or they go to these "boot camps" and pay to get shouted at for not trying hard enough. And of course the main reason is that they can have something to talk about at work other than corrie or big brother. :twisted:

taking a run through the park is far more pleasant then going to the gym; if the weather is right!, However when it is pouring down or you finished work late and it is pitch dark then a gym is useful. Then there is the pool that is usually available unlike the public pools, it has jacuzzis and saunas. Also some of the keep fit classes are fun, it has tennis courts and instructors to help you out if need be and as I said the restaurant is really good!

I get a large discount through my employer for a gym.

well it would appear that the Green Party in Brighton are getting some stick for trying to rush through more 20mph limits....

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10593795.Brighton_and_Hove_s_controversial_20mph_scheme_set_to_be_expanded/?ref=ar

doesn't appear to be working there either! especially if you read the comments at the bottom of the piece....

• 1 month later...

Note that Cheshire and Mersey police are resorting to hidden speed camera checks in Sutton, Winwick and various roads around Warrington especially those where the speed limit decreases from 40 or 50 to 30.

These ardent coppers are hiding behind hedges, in bushes and otherwise trying to hide their radar fr5om sight until the colourful bushes and hedges suddenly sprout black clothed yellow bellied deliverers of bad news for some people.

so remember keep to speed limits until these underemployed people are sent back to useful tasks such as patrolling motorways for dangerous drivers.

Simple solution is don't speed and you wont get caught. 

I didn't think they were allowed to hide away behind bushes and the likes now though and that the rules changed some time back saying they mobile camera operators had to be fully visible, wearing fluorescent clothing and / or using marked vehicles.  Maybe I'm wrong though.

Anyway....presumably they are doing it because people are NOT sticking to the speed limits Wahl in spots that could be dangerous and I'm sure they'd  rather be doing something else.  Are you suggesting with your last sentence that people should only stick to the speed limits for now and until the police move on ?  Tut tut :P

Maybe it's not speeding they are watching out for but perhaps number plate recognition (tax and insurance or crime etc).

Saying that it has been quite a nice day today so far to be out and about in the fresh air either way :wink: 

Thanks for the warning though and I've told my other half, brother, friend and dad just in case as all have had speeding tickets in the past for doing 35 mph and I'm sure they don't want any more.  Most were in Wales but my dad's was on Winwick Road (static camera) at just before 6am one Sunday morning :lol:    (shouldn't laugh really.. it's a long story)