Great Barrier Reef

wolfie

Well we are talking about large bulk carriers here. As for the Long Range AIS, this is one of the consequences of US paranoia after 9/11 and they cannot be switched off! Rogue shipping is steadily being driven from the seas, and obviously if a ship was found to be breaking any regulations the chances of her getting further charters is much reduced so not really commercially sensible. In fact one ship in an owners fleet getting a black mark has consequences on the rest of the fleet as charterers don't want to be associated in any way with any wrongdoing. People protesting against projects like this do tend to exaggerate the consequences so, while I would listen to their concerns, I wouldn't take their claims at face value.

I haven't been able to find anything about plans to dig a canal through the reef, but did find this article about a ship fined for straying into protected waters with a map showing how wide the available passage through the reef is. Gladstone is one of the main ports in Queensland and has bulk terminals for bauxite, alumina, coal etc.

https://gcaptain.com/signe-bulker-great-barrier-reef/