CLARES BUILDINGS OFF BATTERSBY LANE any info please

keithb

Wonder if this has anything to do with it.... I've been reading old newspapers

John Clare of Sankey owned the Crown Glass Works.  He placed an advert to rent some of it out in 1857.   

It's location on the 1851 town map was very close to where Clares Buildings were (although CB's are not on the 1851 map as they hadn't been built then and neither had the railway.)

I'm not sure when Crown Glass Works went though.  It seems to have been replaced by Warrington Wire Works /Stubbs File Manufacturer.

Just a 'maybe' but seems possible I suppose

The mywarrington webpage says that Crown glass works was on Crown Street & gives a date of 1844.

Davy, the 1850 map shows the Crown Glass works part in Crown St. and part in Orford St., the Cockhedge Glass works is in Orford St.

Chicken and egg situation - which came first?.

ScreenShot002_zpsfbb6c8f8.jpg

Head scratcher ?  You said earlier that you thought I already had an ASBO (which made me giggle).... so I just gave myself another one for posting something that probably wasn't relevant.   I think we've both been on here too much today :lol:  

Dizz it is very relevant and an important detail that I missed, in Pigotts 1818-19-20 Trade Directory - glass Manufacturers in Warrington were;

John Alderson & Son, Scotland Rd.,

T.K.Glazebrook, Orford Lane,

Littlemore, Lees & Co (Watch Glass),

Perrin Geddes & Co. Bank Quay.

1825 Bains Directory name -

Alderson Perrin & Robinson (Flint & watch) Mersey St & Cockhedge.

Bank Quay Co. (Flint & Bottle).

Clare, Burdy & Co. (Crown) Scotland Rd.

T.K.Glazebrook & Co. (Flint) Orford Lane.

W.M.Maginnis (Cut) Bridge St.

John Robinson, Sankey St.

Unsworth & Bethel (Cut) St. John St.

Clare - as in Clare's Buildings, is it possible that Clare & Burdy's glass workers lived in that row of houses, they are not that far away - an easy walk through Cockhedge!. (Edit) Sorry to get you excited but those houses were not built and don't show on the 1850 Town Plan, although Clare & Ridgeway are listed as 'Glass manufacturers' in the 1871 Directory!.

• Upvote 1

On the 1850 map Crown Street would not really be far for  employees to walk from Clare's Buildings . Could it be that the land next to Crown St was already earmarked for the railway, so maybe where Clare's Buildings were located was the only land available, considering land to the north of the area is still marked off in what appear to be fields & not yet ready for the rapid expansion that was to come to Warrington. The map shows Newton Street ...would that be the present day station approach ?

• Upvote 1

On the 1850 map Crown Street would not really be far for  employees to walk from Clare's Buildings . Could it be that the land next to Crown St was already earmarked for the railway, so maybe where Clare's Buildings were located was the only land available, considering land to the north of the area is still marked off in what appear to be fields & not yet ready for the rapid expansion that was to come to Warrington. The map shows Newton Street ...would that be the present day station approach ?

Newton St was swallowed up by the Central Station construction and would have been immediately north of the original station offices. I have used used the maps to indicate where Newton St. was, using the Old Cheshire Cheese as the datum point. On the 1850 map is Newton St. relative to The Old Cheshire Cheese Inn and in the 1890 map to indicate where it would have been after the station construction, the station approach is a short distance north of what was Newton St.

1850_zps362db3a2.jpg

1890_zps4b9d515f.jpg

Funny old world at times eh Cleo :)

Did your brother-in-law or his brother have a camera.  They might have taken some family photo's outside in the street :wink:

Not sure if they did Dizzy but anyway my Brother-in-law and, indeed, my sister, passed away a number of years ago. As for his brother, I would have no idea where he is now and chances are that he and his wife have too passed away now.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Dizz/mikehesk, Clares buildings were nothing directly associated with the Clare & Ridgway boat builders of Sankey bridges (may possibly be related though?). the houses were occupied by the workers from the Clare, Burdy & Co (Crown) Glass Manufacturing Company of CrownStree/Scotland Road.