Foal's midnight escape onto country lane

Geoffrey Settle

Did anyone hear about the fly grazing foal that escaped from Houghton Green Pool just after midnight on Saturday morning?

Well it's safely back where the owners have left their herd, hence the term fly grazing.

There were originally 11 horses but over recent months this has grown to 14 with three additions.

We have been concerned over the last month because the field that they graze in is covered in ragwort but yesterday just after midnight one of the foals found a gap in the fence next to Myddleton Hall and wandered out in darkness onto the narrow Delph Lane.

My daughter came home saying that she had just driven past a pony in the road and I immediately phoned the police on 101. They had just received another call and by this morning the foal was back with its mother and the gap where there used to be a style was taped up with crime scene tape. How the foal got through the gap I don’t know as I can only just squeeze through it myself.

Photos of the horses in the field are on the Warrington Nature Conservation Forum Facebook site.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=615697685136910&set=o.110886079024465&type=1#!/media/set/?set=a.405731319539938.1073741854.110886079024465&type=1

My daughter came home saying that she had just driven past a pony in the road and I immediately phoned the police on 101. They had just received another call and by this morning the foal was back with its mother and the gap where there used to be a style was taped up with crime scene tape. How the foal got through the gap I don’t know as I can only just squeeze through it myself.

Need to jog more Geoffrey?

Well maybe not..... Just saw the pictures. :wink:

Geoff, good to hear it came to no harm, the tape should prevent any further escapes as I'm sure plod is aware that horses can read!. perhaps an additional notice on the pole reading "No Escaping Horses" may also prevent future escapee's. :D:wink:

The police taped it up at 2am in the morning but since then early morning visitors to the site removed a lot of it.

I just put the tape back as best as I could its quiet a dangerous stretch of road. I have requested that the style be fixed and if I find a plank and nails I will pop back today and make it more secure.

Fortunately someone has recently put up a mesh fence behind the trees. There used to be much larger gaps.

What a beautiful foal and I'm glad no harm came to it on it's little adventure.

Horses tend no to eat ragwort if there is a plentiful supply of other grasses/food available.  If the ragwort dries out they may eat it by accident though.

Must admit by the second picture it doesn't look an ideal place for horses and their foals to be living.  Do they belong to travellers ?

Do they have fresh water and any shelter from the sun or rain there Geoff ?

If you need any wood to make it more secure let me know as there's some 3x2", 2x2" and 1x1" and also some fence post spikes sitting in my back yard that were for a project that hasn't taken shape yet..... no probs if you want some.  

PS... still laughing at your reply  Algy :lol:  

Do they belong to travellers ? I think so they are the appear to be the ones that were in a field in Latchford realier in the year.

Do they have fresh water and any shelter from the sun or rain there Geoff ? No nothing :cry:

If you need any wood to make it more secure let me know as there's some 3x2", 2x2" and 1x1" and also some fence post spikes sitting in my back yard that were for a project that hasn't taken shape yet..... no probs if you want some - Thanks Dizzy I'll let you know.

That's awful Geoff as the little foals will need shelter especially given the temperatures over the past few weeks I'm surprised they look as healthy as they do. :(

Can't some horse rescue society take them and look after them properly and find them a loving home ?  You can't just dump dogs in a field or on the streets as the dog charities would take them in... so surely there is a similar thing for horses ?

Well it's on private land so I don't think that  a lot can be done but I might be wrong - I've just become a memeber of the Council's members Gypsy and Travellers Committee it's comething else to look into. Anyway I've put a temporary fix to keep the little ones in safe and sound :P and we went and met the herd.

IMG_8311_zpsa20c57a7.jpg

and Katie has said hello to the foals

IMG_8334_zps0c16c6d5.jpg

One even took a bow

IMG_8340_zps6b756c5e.jpg

They are so gorgeous and I want one.  They must be quite tame if the mothers will let you stroke their foals. 

Is there anywhere to park round there Geoff as I might take them some carrots :)

PS... I see you didn't do woodwork at school then :lol:     :P

They are so gorgeous and I want one.  They must be quite tame if the mothers will let you stroke their foals. 

Is there anywhere to park round there Geoff as I might take them some carrots :)

PS... I see you didn't do woodwork at school then :lol:     :P

They are no longer at  Houghton Green Pool .... see link for updates... https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.365493440219704.1073741852.282937758475273&type=1