WBC Drugs advice takes a beating!!!

Bazj

In a recent Facebook campaign by WBC they claimed that cannabis was more dangerous than heroin.

Following literally hundreds of posts challenging their statistics and figures; the council have now been forced to cancel the whole campaign while they check more statistics!!

What an embarrassment!

61eyWpP5vWL._SL500_AA300_.gif

While I am not defending the council here, it's fairly obvious that what they were attempting to do was stress the dangers of cannabis, NOT minimise the dangers of heroin. Only an idiot would fail to see that - but then, only an idiot would use either drug!

• Upvote 1

I agree with you there Egbert.

I'm not defending the council either and it's good that they are running a drug awareness campaign and are trying to do something about drug abuse etc.  

Everyone knows the dangers and short/long term effects of heroin use and yet many people (including youngsters) will smoke cannabis thinking it's 'safe' just like they will pop pills thinking they are 'safe' too (which of course they aren't). 

At first I thought perhaps the poster was just worded like that (ie had the word 'heroin' in it) so it hit home harder, a sort of scare tactic maybe, to hopefully make youngsters/others read and take more notice and to  put them off from trying cannabis in the first place or continuing to use it as it's not so clever after all.   When I read it that's the thought that went through my mind (not that I would ever contemplate using cannabis or any other drugs I hasten to add)

Now it's been pointed I do see what people are saying and how it could be interpreted that heroin is the lesser of the two evils.

Interesting though to note is that the people shouting about it so much on the web elsewhere are people who appear to want cannabis legalised though   :wink:

It's clearly left the council very red faced especially now they have openly stated that they have pulled the campaign for now as there is uncertainty over the statistics. 

If they then decided to run it again, with a differently worded poster maybe,  will it be as effective now ?  Probably not now in my opinion. :(

With you all the way there Egbert.

Smoking cannabis  could make you grow an extra head, could make your arms and legs drop off but the pro cannabis brigade would still say it's ok to smoke it. As I see it they have two choices, to smoke cannabis or to not smoke cannabis, and if they smoke themselves to death they only have themselves to blame. No skin off my nose.

As I see it they have two choices, to smoke cannabis or to not smoke cannabis, and if they smoke themselves to death they only have themselves to blame. No skin off my nose.

Yes Cleo but surely it's better to try and educate people of the dangers (especially the young) in a hard hitting way so that they don't start using cannabis (or any other drugs/pills) in the first place, or to try and get them off it before their habit gets worse and leads to other things.

It's ok saying that 'it's no skin of your nose' if they die through their own stupidity.... but would you say that if the person was a member of your family or say a friends family etc ? 

Or if they burgle your house to pay for their habit?

My house was burgled twice in 6 months, each time while we were here in Egypt. We returned to the uk on both occasions to find that they not only burgled the house and stole what they wanted but our belongings were strewn all around in every single room, even the beds overturned in the bedrooms. The second time we turned around and came straight back to Egypt, vowing never to return again to the uk.

And Dizzy, none of my family would touch cannabis or any illegal drug and avoid anybody who does. They know what it leads to. There are some addicts who go into the bridge at the canata to smoke the stuff but they would never get into our house here because they know there are 8 strapping men here who would beat 9 shades of it out of them if the tried. One man stole one of our cats off the step but he was seen and my grandson. 6ft+ tall, ran after him and took it from him after punching his face. The man never tried it again.

Didn't there used to be an advert on the buses telling people to phone Frank for drug advice.

To be honest though when i tried to get some information  for a family friend re drug problems ,the phone numbers i was given were no longer in use  & advice project was defunct.

That's Kije's answer to everything, legalise it and you don't have a problem anymore. Forgetting of course, that drugs kill, including the legalised ones (fags & booze).  Now we may accept that everyone has the right to kill themselves (personal freedom etc); but some of these addictions have consequences beyond the individual.

The positives of legalisation far outweigh the negatives, these include health, crime and financial positives.

Why's that then ?

I can sort of see where there might be a positive in financial/crime side as I guess people could grow their own (would they be able to do that?) and therefore they wouldn't have to buy off dodgy dealers for high prices.

I don't get how making it legal can have any positives re health though as surely more people may smoke it then (thinking it's ok) and that could possibly lead to them starting to take other stronger drugs or happy pills too.