How daft does it have to get?

observer

The driving test is completely separate to the theory test Obs so even if the interpreter gave the answers to the theory test taker(s) anf they passed they would STILL have to then take and pass their practical tests on the road. 

Shame on the interpreter though and glad he/she has been caught out !    

Seems you don't have to speak English in order to pass a UK driving test !  A Chinese interpreter for the DoT has been jailed for selling the correct answers to the theory test, to Mandarin speaking applicants !

You could say they spotted a little 'chink' in the system. :D:wink:

as I type; Kije is massing an army of luvvies on the banks of the Mersey.... ready to smite Algy for daring to use such terrible language..... :lol:  :lol:

Perfectly PC - Having a chink in the armour. eg. To have flaw or problem preventing success. :D:wink:

Diz, think the point is: what on earth are we doing accepting anyone taking any such examination in the UK, without the ability to read and write in English.

Fair point Obs and I do agree that anyone living over here and taking a test should be able to read English so they can read signs, warnings etc etc. I guess if they can read it and understand that means being able to speak it too :wink:.

But then again you have to remember that we can drive/hire cars etc in other countries when on holiday for example (providing we already hold a licence for over here of course). I could drive in France, Spain etc but I wouldn't have a clue what their road signs said or meant or their rules of the road (if they have any).

I may have read the following wrong but it seems that anyone from another EU country who already holds a EU driving licence can legally drive here anyway without having to take any sort of test.  Scarey !

http://www.aboutimmigration.co.uk/driving-uk.html

PS Wolfie... I'm trying to not comment on your post so I can claim ignorance as I'm sure that's probably not allowed on here.  Blimey my eyes are still watery from laughing . That was soooo  funny :lol:  

Think I was aware of that Diz; but I'm  not aware of any other country that provides a translation service in order for someone to take a local test?  Any test, forms etc, should imo, be in English; want to claim benefits etc, learn to read and write the local language first - seems reasonable?

You only 'think' you were aware of it Obs.  Blimey are you slacking these days :lol:  :P

I have no idea about other countries as I've only ever been to Spain once (in my late teens) and then Canada and Florida in my mid/late 20's and although I could at least read their signs I wouldn't have dared drive there.

Wales had been the place for me for many years and they have theirs written in English and Welsh thankfully.  It's funny but the only two welsh words that me and my other half instantly recognise and understand are Araf and Heddlu. 8)     

I think  the signs are supposed to be understood in most European & Commonwealth countries apart from the signs with writing on ,which will probably distract a foreigner long enough to cause an accident. 

Incidentally, has anyone "Happy Birthday Mary" in Urdu fastened to a lamp post yet ?

I have driven all over Europe (and in Germany at over 140mph..... grrrrreat!!!) but I always take a bit of time before I go to read the rules of the road in whatever country I am in... like in france, at traffic lights, a flashing amber means you can proceed with caution, in Germany on a motorway a white circular sign with a black line at diagonals through it (like our national speed limit sign) means you can floor it!!  and other little anomalies like that!!

RAC, AA all have guides detailing the local country rules so there is no real excuse apart from laziness and poor planning