Life doesn't mean life -

The ECHR ruling will not set them free, It says they have to be considered, The UK can consider and say no, So know real change, unless your going to have ago at our parole system cant be trusted to do what YOU consider to be the right thing. Which I suspect is the truth.

It does not mean they will be released, it means they can be considered for release, it up to the people on parole boards to say yes or no Obs, as you know, it just you trying to muddy the waters.

Kije....

see my post in the thread about venebles...... the parole board and probation service etc. get conned by these kinds of people all the time. The ECHR have made a complete cock-up with this; especially describing their detention and sentences as "degrading and inhuman"... these are mass murderers they are talking about...

time to get out and ditch the whole sorry mess

I try not to become involved on this section of the forum as I usually finish up in conflict with someone or other, however to me, a sentence  passed as life should mean just that, imprisoned until the offenders life has terminated, if you introduce a legal loophole then eventually some legal 'wizzkid' will find a way to bypass the sentence of life, mark my words it will happen, its just another example of these highly paid interfering euorocract leeches diluting the laws of our country. The sooner we ditch these freeloading  idiots the better!.

Algy

We have had the tariff system for many years, long before the ECHR, very rarely doe a life sentence actually mean life in prison, it's easy to blame Europe but you would be wrong to do so.

Obs, again the ruling from the ECHR changes nothing, full control is still in UK hands through the parole boards, nice try at throwing mud, but mud is all it is.

Algy

I life sentence in the UK, usually means a minimum of 25 years in prison before you can apply for parole, it has been that way for a great many years. The UK does have some prisoners where the judge when sentencing them has said they should never be entitled to parole, all this court case has done has made them eligerble for parole, the parole board is quite within its rights to turn down the request. The parole board in the main do a good job, yes they have made mistakes but to judge them on them would be a mistake, as they a very few and far between, they hear hundreds of parole hearings a week.

Algy I life sentence in the UK, usually means a minimum of 25 years in prison before you can apply for parole, it has been that way for a great many years.

Kije... as usual I am struggling to get passed your dyslexia/phone postings... are you really saying that a life sentence in the UK means a minimum of 25 years inside before they can apply for parole?

Included in a list of 49 people who may be up for a review are the killers of 14 people who were murdered by vermin released part way through their sentences for murder.  

Two things are obvious, one is that the Parole Board members were equally guilty of these crimes (not an odd mistake Kije) and two that 14 innocent people would still be alive if the murderers were hanged for their original crimes.

• Upvote 1

Included in a list of 49 people who may be up for a review are the killers of 14 people who were murdered by vermin released part way through their sentences for murder.  

How many cases to the parole board look at a year eagle, and were those 49 people all released in one year or over many years, if you want to play the numbers game lets follow it to its conclusion

In my view there is often confusion regarding justice and the penalty or sentence  given to a guilty party.

Justice.

justice is the fair procedure as laid down by the courts of the land for the trial of individuals accused of perpetrating a crime against society or a member of society, once the accused has been undeniably found guilty of the crime, justice has been seen to be carried out.

Penalty

At this point other than adhering to procedure, justice plays no part in the penalty given to the guilty individual, a penalty has to be paid as determined by the set laws of society, those laws should be totally inflexible and there should be no interference from any outside influences, European Court Of Human Rights or otherwise.

• Upvote 1