Venables

If I can play devils advocate here for a moment, he has a life sentence and is on a life licesnse and can be pulled back into jail by the authorities. He was tried in an adult court (later criticised) as a child and received a tarrif sentance (per european union law) which up expiry of the same he was assessed as a risk or not and attempted to be rehabiltiated into society. That proved problematic and following a further offence was imprisoned. He has since again been assessed and released.

Now whilst I dont agree that the original tarrif was enough and the period since reimprisonment was also not enough and that criminals being given life long immunity is also farcical, I am also accutely aware of the professionals who have looked at this case through the last 20 years and whilst we dont have a perfect legal system (who does?), you have to have some faith that those in the know tend to make the right decisions very much more often than not.

As I said - devils advocate. I did say that there was a lot I didnt agree with.

I dont doubt that he is a danger, but we have a principle of conviction after committal of the crime and not before (minority report isnt quite fact yet). As a life licensee, he will be closely watched and probably more so now after his recent event.

I thought that if they were pulled back into prison when on a tariff then they were supposed to serve the rest of the life sentence?

This piece of shit should have been executed when he got to the age of 18 for what he and the other scum did....

and in answer to Francines original question; No... there is no justice because the whole justice system has been hijacked by the liberal namby pambys 

• Upvote 1

Don't panic, Gary, I'll be careful with my wording.

When Venables was in custody, someone I knew a (Psychologist) had dealings with him.  Totally putting to one side what he'd done, my friend described him as an 'ordinary kid'.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago and I know of someone who knew him before he broke his cover and went back into custody.  Again, I asked what he was like and the reply was 'lovely'.

He had worked alongside people who had no clue who he was and he fitted in well.

I'm not sure whether that means he has a chance in society or whether there is more to be worried about because he comes across nicely.

I guess it will cost the country another million pounds or so to find out!

I have first hand knowledge of prisoners conning the people who are supposed to be "experts" I shared a room with probation officers who were utterly convinced that the murderer they were dealing with had "found God" and was "a changed Person"...."Full of remorse for what he'd done" .... the clichés were endless....

"Fine" said I......""But I know better and I haven't spent years at university learning how to have the wool pulled over my eyes or how to wear the rose tinted glasses"...."But when you let him out; and he kills again - which he will do; come back and apologise to me....." They smiled at my response.... They were no more than 25 years of age and had been utterly conned by someone who knew what they wanted to hear and exactly how to word it....

Two years later, they did indeed start the parole routine of letting the murderer out for day trips and on one occasion (I subsequently learned; for a whole weekend..... He did kill again; while on weekend release; and another family had to go through the torment I had to..... Did they come back? Did they hell as like. They never apologise and no one ever takes the blame.

Venebles is a danger to society and to children in particular. He will offend again but as I said above; he should never have gotten the chance to do so the last time.... but rest assured that no one will be to blame and the person responsible from the probation service will be a nameless, guilty man or woman

• Upvote 1