Ecky'thumps in't it Quiet!

algy

Ellesmere Port Boat museum all afternoon.  Marvelous and  way more interesting and fun than being on here t'interweb.  No dog or teenager either... double marvellous :)

PS Baz..... the home of the happy spammers eh?  I always suspected there was something odd about you  :lol:

Ellesmere Port Boat museum all afternoon.  Marvelous and  way more interesting and fun than being on here t'interweb.  No dog or teenager either... double marvellous :)

PS Baz..... the home of the happy spammers eh?  I always suspected there was something odd about you  :lol:

I intend going there sometime in the near future Dizz as I have obtained working drawings of a Yarwoods 'Josher' and intend making a 36" model of 'Minnow' in FMC colours this winter and require detailed photographs of the type regarding the bottom planks, knees, engine ole' etc. and hopefully details of a 9hp Bollinder engine, Sad ain't it!!!. :D

Yep :lol:  .....says me who not really into canal boats but was fascinated by everything there yesterday.  It was a real eye opener.

They had 2 Bolinder engines (50 hp and 7hp - red ones shown below) in the Power Room and another one (7hp - blue one below) in one of the other info buildings.  Stangely enough I took photo's of them...... although it was probably because my other half excitedly said ' ooh look a Bolinder'.   They also have a 15 hp one in the motorboat 'Ferret'. What's so special about them ?

Their archive rooms may have details of the 9hp one you mention Algy although we didn't go in there as it was 4pm by the time we got over that side of the site and the door was locked.

.......EDIT.... seems the archives are open by 'appointment only'

IMG_1077600x800_zpsea522432.jpg

IMG_1076800x600_zps183f856e.jpg

IMG_1256800x599_zps61cea397.jpg

IMG_1255800x600_zps82742b66.jpg

IMG_1257800x600_zps2d095abd.jpg  

Edited by Dizzy

I forgot to mention Algy......

It cost us £6.50 each to get in (concessions £5.50) and included in that is a yearly pass which then allows you to go back as many times as you like for FREE in the next 12 months.   You and Mrs Algy could spend the whole summer there :)

Make sure you ask for it as the lady said sometimes the staff forget to mention/give them. It's a bit misleading on their website as we thought you had to pay double entrance fee to get your free year pass but you definitely don't.

website here..... http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/national-waterways-museum

I just looked and Cleo's not been on since 31 May.  Maybe she has worn her PC out.

Speaking of bunkers (Baz).. that reminded me of concrete.....

There's a huge concrete barge at the museum Algy (FCB18) which was built in 1944 by Messrs Waits Ltd, Barrow in Furness.  It's rather an ugly thing to say the least.  Still in the water though although whether it's floating or sat on the bottom I don't know.

It was bought from the Ministry of Transport in 1947 for £100 and transferred from Manchester Docks to the Bridgewater Department of the Manchester Ship Canal Company at Runcorn.  Although cheap to build the regular maintenance on concrete barges was very labour intensive. The following year (1948) it was damaged by another concrete barge near the Barton Locks and had to be repaired at a cost of £79 8s 5d, almost the same amount as the original purchase price. 

It's quiet on here again today isn't it ?  :lol: :lol:  

IMG_1236800x600_zps666e7ea3.jpg 

IMG_1243800x600_zps101e42cb.jpg

Dizz, the last time I went to the Boat Museum was about four years ago so it looks like I shal be visiting again shortly. I'm a bit concerned about Cleo, if I remember correctly bot her and her husband hadn't been too well, hopefully thats not the reason that she has not been on here, I may drop her an email to see how they are.

Wolfie these jokes are getting worse mate, I thought your mum had hidden that joke book but it looks like you found it again. :D:wink:

Last thing I remember Cleo talking about before she disappeared was how she would be belly dancing at her grandson's wedding.  Has that been yet as maybe she got arrested or has been disowned  :shock:  :lol:

Did you know that they purposely sink some of the old wooden barges/boats at the museum to preserve them Algy?  One barge had just been brought up. 

Maybe you should take your snorkel and flippers and see what else is down there  :wink:

Last thing I remember Cleo talking about before she disappeared was how she would be belly dancing at her grandson's wedding.  Has that been yet as maybe she got arrested or has been disowned  :shock:  :lol:

Did you know that they purposely sink some of the old wooden barges/boats at the museum to preserve them Algy?  One barge had just been brought up. 

Maybe you should take your snorkel and flippers and see what else is down there   :wink:

If I did there would certainly be something down there permenantly - I can't swim! :lol:

Just some handy advice if you decide to go exploring the bottom of the canal.

You don't need to be able to swim to explore the bottom of the canal, you just need the ability to sink and that is so easy even a brick can manage it. Of course being then able to breathe underwater is the next challenge but a suitable length of hosepipe should be of help there. Taking pictures may present somewhat of a more difficult task as the water tends to be murky. However with a couple of 12 led torches securely encased in plastic bags you may get sufficient light and most digital cameras designed for use in water are rated to about three metres which is more than enough for the average canal. Stout shoes are also advisable to cope with the tricky art of negotiating the old bike frames and shopping trolleys. (note if you find enough of these you may be able to construct a small platform to enable you to exit the water when you have had enough exploring)

A few other items should also be noted. elasticated waist and ankle trousers should be worn, this will prevent the odd eel or pike trying to take your bait, at a push tuck trousers into socks. A good pair of goggles might be of use especially if you normally wear glasses. as a final safety measure a couple of deflated rubber rings worn around the waist may be of help as an emergency floatation device. ( note they may take some time to inflate especially if you are wandering about on your own and have to inflate them by mouth.)

And as always remember to tell a relative of good personal friend where you are going and what time you intend to return just in case. 8)

:lol:  :lol: There you go Algy, wise but simple advice from Evils.  Let me know when you are going as I'd like to take some pics of you doing that to see if they match the images going around in my head now  :lol:  

The wedding had to be postponed because of the death of my Mohamed and th period of mourning. Sorry, tears still well up when I think about him, which is practically all the  time.