Equal Pay?

observer

Seems the Law Lords have ruled in favour of an equal pay (for women) claim by Unison. Now whilst I can understand, that a female bricky should be paid the same rate as a male bricky; I struggle with idea that a cleaner should get the same rate as a binman, merely because they work for the same Council? The jobs are different and presumably warrant differing rates of pay, irrespective of gender? But there is a glimmer of light in all this - we could all argue that we require equal pay with Bankers or Footballers for example !

What's new about that, so was I when I was an apprentice, £1 - 10shillings for a 44 hr week, £1 to my mum for my board and 10 bob for me!.

True, but your wage went up each year and considerably more when you finished your apprenticeship. Todays kids are on the same wage for years unless the government decides to increase it.

Think the problem relates mainly to Councils, where men and women work for the same employer, thus are all "Council Staff" and (they argue) entitled to equal pay. No mention of job evaluation, skills requirements, academic qualifications, degrees of physical or mental stress etc. All "jobs" are different and thus receive differing rates. Equal pay for EQUAL work eh?!

Think the problem relates mainly to Councils, where men and women work for the same employer, thus are all "Council Staff" and (they argue) entitled to equal pay. No mention of job evaluation, skills requirements, academic qualifications, degrees of physical or mental stress etc. All "jobs" are different and thus receive differing rates. Equal pay for EQUAL work eh?!

That's just not true. I used to work in HR for the County Council down here, all jobs are evaluated in terms of skills, quals etc to the nth degree. The problem relates to how to evaluate different jobs which may require different specific skills but the same overall level of capability. Eg school dinner lady and the caretaker. Different jobs but surely a similar skill level? Historically the dinner lady will be paid less simply because it's largely occupied by women who were deemed to be earning pin money rather than supporting a family so were paid less for that reason. 

At one time 'equal pay' did mean the simple interpretation that a female brickie should earn the same as a male one but the issue of 'occupational equality', ie whether occupations of the same skill level enjoyed equal pay is what's being addressed now. Councils have been tying themselves in knots for years since the Birmingham case to find a way of evaluating different skill sets, I was asked to join the Norfolk project but turned it down firmly!

Trace; "similar skill level"?  Surely a subjective concept?  If an employer advertises a job and a pay scale for that job, based on their assessment of skill and value to the organisation; one assumes folk taking on those jobs are sufficiently attracted by said rates? If a female want's more money, presumably she could apply for a higher paid job?

• Upvote 1