How far back for compen claims?

It appears that the tax-payer is to fund a £20million compen claim by relatives and survivors of the British fight against Mau Mau terrorists in Kenya, 50 years ago. So what next? A claim from relatives of the S/African Boers who suffered in British concentration camps?  A claim from the Zulus, or any of the natives of the ex-British Empire? Jus how far back does this nonsense go?

Farce, Obs, is the fight and struggle for freedom farce Obs????,

The Colonial government used castration as a weapon!!!!

Have you not been saying Germany should have paid war compensation on another thread, have you not just shot yourself in the foot with this one :wink:

Or are you saying its ok for the UK to receive money when we are wronged, but the UK is never wrong and so should never pay it out. Why not just face the fact that's things got ugly when we were trying to keep hold of our Empire, and things there done, that should not have been done.

can i put a claim in for my ancestor uuugh who got clubbed by a rival hunter whilst out hunting a mammoth? :mrgreen:

Only if you can produce reliable witness and the weapon that was used against them Sid!.

PM me if you need a witness, I have a mate in Toxteth who will swear on oath that he saw the whole thing and not only that he will also produce the weapon and the mammoth skin for a few quid., might be a bit smelly though as he said  it's been in his shed for about 15,000 years. :D :D :wink:

As I've said before Kije, compensation goes to the victor, but only if the victor is in a position to enforce payment. Bleeding hearts like you, would have us paying through the nose in compen  for every so-called historical war crime -  history is just that, history - get over it and move on.

Sad for the Ruck family, could they not put a claim into Kenya????, but if we are counting mis-deeds I think the UK will still be out of pocket, The really sad thing is, Their were other rebelions and other supressions by our Colonial Cival servants. We could be opening the flood gates here. The last days of are Empire got very dirty is some places, with us trying to hang on to what was left of out Empire.

Nobody is mentioning mis-deeds. If the Mau Mau can claim against the British for atrocities, what about the atrocities that took place by the Mau-Mau?

IMO, if you go into the kitchen, there is a possibility that you may get burned. Can the white farmers in Rhodesia(Zinbabwe) get compensation from Mugabe??

As obs says, just how far back to you take these issues? This country is the pits the way it bends over backwards to appease these people.

I wonder how much compensation the IRA are going to pay out?

• Upvote 1

Victorious? Errm, think you'll find that the Mau Mau were defeated and their Leader killed.  The withdrawal from Empire was a strategic post-war political decision by the British Gov, who simply could no longer afford to police and administer it, in the light of the devastation at home. As for "war crimes"; think you'll find that the Mau Mau were adept at torture and butchery, and mainly of their own black communities - a trait that's lingered on in Africa until the present day.

Errm nope; the strategic decision to withdraw from Empire had already been made. The Mau Mau were defeated. Which left more moderate elements (like Kenyata) to reap the reward of withdrawal, and a peacefull transfer of powers.  The Mau Mau were no different from the IRA, they were terrorists, and rightly imo treated as such.

Kije,  the principle of withdrawal from all our colonies was well established by the post-war Atlee Gov, it was merely a matter of organising a transfer of powers, and timing for the various colonies; the timing of course didn't suit everyone of course, especially the various terrorist groups in those colonies. What you call "repression", was simply the maintainance of law and order, in the face of such violence. The withdrawal from Kenya, was in spite of Mau Mau activity, NOT because of it. Alg, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, and it depends which side your on and who writes the history at the end of the day, But, any minority group that endevours to overthrow a status quo by violent means, I would deem to be a terrorists, certainly from the point of view of the existing regime. The idea that these groups had majority local support for their activity is nonsense; as with the IRA, they even killed their own countrymen. Only in India, with Gandi, was there a non-violent opposition to British rule, which eventually succeeded by non-violent means; similar to the velvet revolutions against the Soviet Empire in E/Europe .

Most Kenyans wanted to be independent of the UK Obs, By your definition the Mau Mau are not terrorists.

, But, any minority group that endevours to overthrow a status quo by violent means, I would deem to be a terrorists,.

I minority took up arms, the majority supported the course.

So not terrorists then.