Fracking ?

observer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chernobyl was a product of the Communist failing USSR and was therefore prone to problems not found in nuclear power stations in the rest of the world. I see this in the attitude of officers I sail with who come from former Eastern Block countries. Even now they are reluctant to report equipment failures to management, fearing that they will be somehow found to be at fault for the failure. The disaster at Chernobyl could have been averted if the initial problem had been dealt with quickly enough but instead they tried to cover it up.

Having said that, it was the world's worst nuclear power station accident. But the actual death toll at the time was less than 50 people. 20 years after the event the World Health Organisation had this to say:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2005/pr38/en/

Every industrial process has it's risks, but these can be managed. If we want to be part of the civilised world we must use the technologies available to us and one of these is nuclear power.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree Asp; as we've been over this before; for me, it's too expensive both to commission and to eventually de-commission, and Gov hasn't got a clue as to what to do with the waste. However, what's clear, is that we need a range of new energy sources asap; if we're not going to suffer shortages in the future.

Hmm pinch of salt on that one methinks. wonder if it is a ploy to get fracking accepted. They say that there is trillions of cubic whatevers of the stuff but then they say that they are unsure of how much they can actually extract may be as high as at least ten percent according to some sources.

I think some people might quickly change their views on this when the lights start going out. The way I see it is that there’s always going to be objections to any proposal (energy or otherwise) but in this case, the immediate needs of the nation has to take precedence over concerns about possible environmental effects. 

The predicted energy shortfall is real and a lot closer than many believe and it wouldn’t take much to take us over that tripping point where lives, jobs and the whole wellbeing of the country are put at serious risk.  Even if we gave the companies a green light right now, there’s no guarantee that they could produce the gas in time to prevent future grid failures.

Bill :)

Bill

As someone who works in the energy sector, I am fully awhere of the energy shortfall, As they have found gas under most of the North West, it might be alot nearer than people think, its ok in Lancashire I wonder if people will feel the same if they start drilling round Warrington, especailly round the afluenent parts. I doubt it!!!!!!!, Its a bit like wind energy most like it, till they get their view ruined by a windmill, this has the added bonus of contaminating peoples water and earth tremours, I think the nimbys will be out in force aswell as the enviomentalists.