Fracking ?

observer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fracking in America, has led to coal plummeting in price, Not a bad thing, or is it, as America has alot of high sulphur coal that is being dumped on the World market, which is increasing pollution. Although there will be a lot of Nimbys who don't want it in their back yard, a lot of other people will oppose it as it is a fossil fuel and doesn't really do anything for the long term of the health of the Planet.

If shale gas was discovered under Warrington Obs I am sure their might be a lot of NIMBYS on this forum, probably including you if they put a platform across from your house :)

The discovery of large fields of gas from fracking in the N/West; could make us energy self sufficient for a decade or more; but will it take a decade or more to overcome NIMBY opposition?

"Could" = "we haven't got a clue".

Oh, and NIMBY!!!

They can drill in my back garden if they want. I'm sure I'd get adequate compensation

Well, I'd hope so, 'cos if it's anything like the US, it's likely some insurance companies won't pay out in the event of any building damaged from fracking:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/13/nationwide-insurance-fracking_n_1669775.html

Fracking is really helping the US economy because big industry can make massive fuel savings by setting up in the US, thus creating jobs. If they find shale gas here in the UK too, and the gov / refineries pass on savings, then that could be exactly what is needed to boost our economic recovery. Surely our gov are not that meat headed? I still have faith anyway that common sense will prevail.

Unfortunately energy & road fuel are massive cash generators for the government ,but they don't seem to acknowledge the harm that fuel prices in general are doing  to the economy by reducing the public's spending power  & thus stagnating the broader economy.

Fracking is really helping the US economy because big industry can make massive fuel savings by setting up in the US, thus creating jobs. If they find shale gas here in the UK too, and the gov / refineries pass on savings, then that could be exactly what is needed to boost our economic recovery. Surely our gov are not that meat headed? I still have faith anyway that common sense will prevail.

Pass on savings, don't tell me your a stand up comedian. right. :wink:

We still have huge coal reserves in this country. Most of them are in mines closed down by Maggie (God bless) but nearly all the coal we now use is imported from either mainland Europe or Asia. If we start fracking for gas there is a very real danger that the gas/air in mines in this region will cause subsidence of properties built ontop of redundant mines. But the environmental cost of importing coal is causing global warming. Wouldn't it be better to re-open some of our pits?

If it was just about age, then why aren't we building new coal powered stations? Are you denying that our coal powered stations have to close because of the EU directive 2008/80/EC Large Combustion Plants? If it was solely about age then Drax would be pulled down rather than converting to biomass. Crass? Grow up and try and see the rather larger picture.

The cost of updating are old coal fired power stations to meet the EU directives is what did for them, But lets put this into context, The coal fired power stations  were designed with a life expectancy of 25 years, Most if not all now are considerably older. So to blame the EU, Asp, is very simplistic.

Obs

The cost of clean coal, is quite expensive, Are you willing to pay the on going cost??, 

And before you come back about nuclear cost, once its up and running its quite cheap, its the upfront cost thats expensive, hence nobody wants to foot the bill, And EDF are negotiating  with the government about minimum cost of electricity, so they no they can get their money back.

As to re opening are coal fields, sadly are coal mines were not mothballed, and have flooded or were filled in, very expensive to re open, or dig new mines, again are people willing to pay the costs, especially as coal is so cheap to import.

Have we not had this discussion many times before.

Not sure it has anything to do with Brussels, If our politicians had the guts to go ahead with coal fired power stations it could do, but the kick back after Maggie closed most of them would be an embarrassment too far.

Germany have opened 2 new coal fired stations in 2012 and another 6 are on the way and none of these coal stations will be built with Carbon Capture & Storage (CCS). So it can be done with or without an EU directive.