Under age drinking ?

observer

Here they take the drink off the kids and pour it away in front of them,then there ?parents get a letter telling them that their kids had drink with them and if they are caught again they could be prececuted.

Steve

PS you can drink beer and wine fron the age of 16 but not Spirits and i dont mean ghost?s (observer) :wink::P

Prosecution isn't going to have a great impact as:

1. Parents who don't know where their kids are at midnight let alone not bothered seeing them with a hangover the next morning, are not going to be bothered whether they get prosecuted or not.

2. The kids will end up in young offender prisons where their life of crime will only begin. And that is no fault of their own.

3. The kids are bored out of their brains so being in trouble with the police is only going to add a bit of fun to their lives.

Whilst I am pleased to see the police getting more powers, the government really needs to tackle the route of the problem which is a combination of a FAILED SCHOOL SYSTEM which is only just beginning to turn around since both labour and tories started meddling with it in the late 80's, LACK OF GOOD LOCAL FACILITIES for the kids which again went to pot from the early 90's onwards and PARENTING SKILLS (don't get me started on that one as I blame Maggie Thatcher's capitalist change in attitudes)!!

That is the evidence for the prosecution m'lord.

[ 04.02.2008, 18:50: Message edited by: Anna ]

Tend to concure with 1 & 3; but not necessarily 2: we didn't have "places to go" as in something provided - we had to create our own imaginative play and use any open space available for footy etc. However, we wern't obsessed with peadophiles behind every bush, and there was plenty of space with less traffic, and no TV or PCs to draw us into being groomed in our bedrooms. :wink:

Obs

Thinking back to my childhood I lived two lives, one with my Mum during the week and one with my Dad at weekends. During the week, I went to a Youth Club every Wednesday, with my mum to keep fit on Tuesday and alternated roller skating and police disco's on a Thursday as well as doing my homework. My mum was a single mum who was VERY strict so I never went out.

Now, at the weekend I visited my Dad who although was law abiding and good, was more 'laissez faire' so I went out from the age of 12 with my Step-sister. We mixed with her friends from the local school and because there was nothing to do there (I wouldn't say it was that rough but it was run down) we hung around the street corner, at a bus stop or by the Spar. Like these kids, I am sure that by the age of 16 I had tried most things.

Now my point is, I saw it from all angles and by the Grace of God I stayed on the right side of the law and have made a comfortable life for myself. But it could have gone either way - these kids need help and I don't think that they are getting it.

I agree that parental control is important. I am still scared of my Mum now!!! :scared:

We all went to St Albans Youth Club on Bewsey Road. Run by an old couple called Albert and Mrs Wells and with the club doorman called Les.

It was a great place with a pool table and a crap disco and it sold tea and coffee and soft drinks, but it was somewhere we all went and it kept us off the streets of Bewsey for many days a week and many hours on those days. Kids came from all over town.... even the posh kids from Grappenhall and Lymm used to turn up!!

As bad as it may sound, there is nothing like that for the kids today. When I was 18 I was working with a local DJ and we had nights at Hood Manor and Sankey Forum on a Tuesday. Again not awe inspiring but it was something.

I think that part of the problem today is there are too many rules and regulations in putting on things; health & safety issues, CRB checks, Liability insurances, Police issues and god knows what else.

Maybe a relaxation could be sought so that it is easier to put on things for the teenagers? The kids need something which will give them a good laugh and show them they can have fun without having to drink to do it

Baz

[ 04.02.2008, 20:57: Message edited by: BazJ ]

Totally agree with you!

You are especially right about Health and Safety, CRB etc. Few people can be bothered to help these kids because it's too much hassle and don't want to get sued!!

Seeing as Warrington is constantly on the news when they talk about teenagers drinking since the shooting, maybe the government should pump money into this area and pay people for their time to set up youth clubs, discos etc.

The other thing that made it all work though Anna was respect for what the organisers were doing for us. Mrs Wells was a lovely lady (probably in her mid to late 50's and Albert was her husband. I never knew her first name but it didn't matter... she was always Mrs Wells!

Albert was a typical 60+ with a bit of time on his hands and this was their way of helping the area.

Yes there was a bit of trouble with fights and things, but most were settled well away from the club because we didn't want to lose that place but most things; if it kicked off in the club, were sorted out by Albert and Les (who was a 30 odd year old guy who was well built and didn't stand for no messing about and would give the kick up the backside to anyone causing lumber in the club....as would Albert!!)

Most of the policing was done by us kids.... the older lads looked after the younger ones and it just all seemed to work out... looking back; god knows how because we had punks, rockers, mods and Northern Soulies all in the same place!! Oh how I loved those circle skirts!.... they just never looked right on me though :D

No seriously something should be done to provide something for the teens of today. Then if they wreck it, curfew the bloody lot of em!

[ 04.02.2008, 22:06: Message edited by: BazJ ]

Over here if they are under 18 they are booked and given a ticket and parents have to show up to the local to pick up their children and then in a month or so go to court. If it happens too many times they are sent to Juvenile Hall or boot camp.

That's the sort of thing that should be done here, Mary. It really needs intergrating but can only suceed if there is a nasty shock at the end like boot camp.

I think BazJ that kids crave a sense of belonging and peer pressure is always rife especially amongst the young, however, the difference between what you experienced as a child is a sense of moralilty and fear of loosing a good thing. For these kids, they have nothing to loose and the peer pressure comes from how much vodka they can drink after 14 cans of larger.

This is where they need help to turn it around.

[ 05.02.2008, 06:21: Message edited by: Anna ]