Sorry, you've used your quota of appointments already

I don't know why people are complaining about the NHS. My recent experiences of it have been OK.  Observer may have a point when he says the dedication of the staff is helping to keep things going, but isn't this true of every organisation ever put together by Man?

Every firm I ever worked for was kept going by the dedication of the staff - not ALL the staff, of course. There are always a few who don't pull their weight and I am afraid that is as true of the NHS as any other organisation.

But by and large, people don't go in for one of the caring professions unless they are caring people.

This is the problem with the banking industry. People there tend to be motivated purely by money - they don't care about anything else.

That is what I heard Wolfie. Possibly because surgeons aren't operating over the weekend they can be called in case of a complication occurring with one of their "Friday jobs"? Just guessing really as I haven't the foggiest idea what goes on in hospitals.

Why ARE there fewer staff in hospitals at weekends?  It's time we got away from this "weekend" culture where everyone expects to be off on a Saturday and Sunday - particularly in the health service.  Surely it doesn't matter what days you have off?

Lets work towards a system where every day is the same in hospitals, health centres, doctors surgeries, etc.

Indeed, it might be an idea to work towards that in all occupations. I would be quite happy to have my "weekend" on two other days - doesn't really matter which.

" a failure to rescue the patient could be due to well-known issues relating to reduced or locum staffing and poorer availability of services over a weekend. "

This is my experience. My husband had brain surgery in Addenbrookes on a Friday, he had complications which took far longer to recognise and address because of the shortage of staff. The only Drs available were on-call junior Drs who were clearly inexperienced, the scan operator had to be called in from home and it took about 10hrs to organise, even the ward staff were depleted, they didn't even notice anything was wrong, thought he was just 'asleep', it was us relatives who alerted them (over and over again) to that fact that he was unresponsive. It was really frightening, long before this report came out we would tell people to avoid having an op on a Friday. (He's fine now by the way)

• Upvote 1