Windows 7 or 8 ?

Dizzy

I am aware of the fat 32 formatters and have tried quite a few with no luck. My TV would not read them. I tried one hard drive that was straight out of the box and it worked perfectly.

Am currently trying to sort my brothers laptop. Having to reformat the hard drive and do a clean install of windows. probably spend most of the weekend trying to sort out all the drivers for it. Great fun.

typical of my luck. trying to re-install windows xp pro onto my brothers laptop using his windows disk and it keeps telling me that one of the bits needed is not on the disk and either to try another disk or clean the one I am using. anybody know if a laptop designed for xp can run windows 7 ????

Testing what Bill ?

I couldn't click on that so copied it into my browser tab and it said 'This content is currently unavailable'

Only just set this new PC up though so maybe it's me.  Other new PC number 2 is proving to be a pain in the butt so that one can definitely wait until tomorrow. 

Ooops sorry... I forgot to say.

Well you did ask Wolfie so here you go......................... We took all advice (well I did as I've got Windows 7 and it's wonderful)

Firstly it was a toss up between a laptop and a desktop (I prefer desktops and other half wanted us to get a laptop)

and of course the there was the big  issue of Windows 7 vs 8

...... So yesterday as it was a bank holiday and raining we bought both (or all 4 I suppose if you want to be specific)

A desktop running Windows 7 for me ( simples and no probs at all) AND a laptop running Windows 8 for the now  stressed out man of the house.

The laptop has already been back and changed as it kept freezing watching youtube videos and although Windows 8 is actually not that bad (errm providing you stay calm and do not want to install your existing internet security which wont work on it etc and are willing to learn something COMPLETELY new) and you have the patience to change your internet browser as you tube video's wont work either running the pre installed Internet Explore 10 and embedded flash player.  Seem to work OK if you download firefox instead and install the Adobe Flash plug in separately though. 

Anyway he's not swore for nearly an hour now so I guess I must have done something right and it's now working ok unless he's just sat playing the solitaire ' APP' I downloaded for him  :wink:   Remember Solitaire.... that just used to come as standard on PC's and has done for years but with Windows 8 you have to download an 'APP' which involves creating a Microsoft account and logging in/downloading it from the Xbox Live/App website (OK so for free but a bit long winded).

To be honest Windows 8 is actually not that bad to navigate and switch between APP mode and desktop mode depending on where you point your cursor on the screen once you get the feel for how it works but you do have to have nerves of steel or at least a will to not be beaten by a bloody machine :wink:  

Me... well I have to learn Win 8 pretty damn quick now just  to explain how it works (EEK) to stop my other half from throwing his laptop in the Manchester Ship Canal.  I guess it is keeping me quite though.

OMG he's go music blaring out now and his feet are tapping...

I remember the says when you just used to plug a new PC in and it worked though without any hassle and stress........ just like this new Windows 7 desktop one did yesterday and is still doing :wink:

Charming :lol:  And I'll take that in the way it was probably meant Peter.... and I'll go again now :P  :lol: 

Got to learn how to use Microsoft Office 2013 now anyway.  Blimey ours was 2003 and how things change in 10 years.

I felt my evil streak coming back as I've got it for my other half's laptop too and can't wait to load it for him when he's at work tomorrow as the combination of Windows 8 and Office 2013 should really throw him over the edge.... and also got it for the sons laptop too to make sure   :lol: 

Oooh FUN FUN FUN 8)

Oooh does it ?  When I type that reply  it looked really tiny and my cursor was lower than the text so I upped it so it looked the same size as all yours.... but clearly not from what you say.

I've left this post tiny...... does this one look normal size to you ?

EDIT.... I seem to have pressed both the X(2) buttons  and I think that's maybe what messed it up :oops:  Am I right size again now :?