Farsley away

Gary

Very good second half performance. The first half if we are honest will not live long in the memory I have forgotten most of it already :P.

The young lads who came on did very well and did not make the team any worse which is a positive sign.

We have a good platform but we have said this before so lets not get carried away.

Yes three wins in Yorkshire but we should be beating those sides if we want to push on next season.

Come on wire.

Too true Burgerman

Jack, the Two Chris' (Bandell and Bibby) and Dylan have all impressed when they have come on this season. All bodes well for next season, we just need to find a way of keeping hold of these lads once they are too old for the youth team

Yes I saw that, great move by all involved, a really promising youth team moving up mixed in with a few older heads will really help us compete, in what I am assuming, will be The Cheshire League once again. The young lads have shown that they can compete at first team level, so its great to see the club, providing that step between the two levels. I think I know a few suitable candidates for the gaffers post, it will be interesting to see if any of them apply

Excellent news, shame the FA won't let them start in a higher league,  I understood that it was "usual" for a team's reserves to play about two league levels below the first team, which would make it north west counties Division 1.

The current Moore set up that was supposed to be the "unofficial" reserves play in Cheshire League 2 and the standard is just too low. I have not seen Cheshire League 1 in action but I think it is really important for the reserves to play at as high a standard as possible, or they won't truly provide that "stepping stone"...  you only get better by playing better opposition as my dad used to say whenever he beat me at anything :cry: . 

I would not think it unreasonable to expect a combination of "maturing" youth players (who as Woody says have shown their capability in NPL Div1 North) and other players who have first team potential could compete reasonably well at the NWC Div 1)

Incidentally, will the reserves be playing at Cantilever, how would that work with Saturday fixture clashes?

Excellent news, shame the FA won't let them start in a higher league,  I understood that it was "usual" for a team's reserves to play about two league levels below the first team, which would make it north west counties Division 1.

The current Moore set up that was supposed to be the "unofficial" reserves play in Cheshire League 2 and the standard is just too low. I have not seen Cheshire League 1 in action but I think it is really important for the reserves to play at as high a standard as possible, or they won't truly provide that "stepping stone"...  you only get better by playing better opposition as my dad used to say whenever he beat me at anything :cry: . 

I would not think it unreasonable to expect a combination of "maturing" youth players (who as Woody says have shown their capability in NPL Div1 North) and other players who have first team potential could compete reasonably well at the NWC Div 1)

Incidentally, will the reserves be playing at Cantilever, how would that work with Saturday fixture clashes?

Its a new project Vogon64 that i'll be treating the same way as i started the youth team and thats organically. It needs to find its feet in the first season and deliver certain aspects of my progression plan. I did consider a level above but that level of football is not free and would also encounter a fair amount of travelling which when half the team is under 20 is a fairly big ask.

At step 7 its a good place to start and gives the 19yr olds that move on from the youth side matches against older experienced players whilst also not inflicting large costs into the business. If the standard is as you say then it won't be long before the side is forcing the issue at a higher level.

Glad you think its a good move and lets see how things go.

Thanks for explaining the reasoning, makes sense to me.  As you say it would be great to accelerate through the leagues, the important thing is that the club are taking seriously a reserve team, and that it truly does provide  a feed into the first team.

Reserve sides are not permitted to play at this level (Step 6) in the north west region. Step 7 is the highest possible but there won't be any fast track to the top division at Step 7 (presume the Cheshire League). It would have to be the lower division, effictively Step 8.

Local sides such as Eagle play in Divn.1 and I suggest that leage 2 will be a significant step down in terms of quality, how will a reserves side get decent football FOUR leagues below the first team.

It feels like there will be a real danger of the reserves effectively becoming a separate team, and never really being the vehicle for first team development. Why would a player being considered for the first team play in this league, wouldn't they be better off playing in a higher league for another club and then coming straight to first team?

Only time will tell I suppose.

What League do you recommend then given Wiretowns overview? Many teams at our level have had teams in that Division, Trafford, Curzon, Witton but to name a few.

I remember being very unhappy when the Reserve team was scrapped last time as i watched them when we were away (one reason why i ended up watching Alty) and critised a club Director for doing so as he replaced it with the Youth team which again i never thought would work but fair play it was the right decision.

I've heard nearly half the team will be 19yrs old next year with a mix of older heads and some first team players playing, for me its a good place to start with no pressure in the first season.It will depend on how many first team appearances the res team make for me as will say if its a success or not.

Northwest Counties would be a step to soon and we'd have to be called something else and i doubt the club could afford it anyway. Director of Football has said on here it would be unfair to get young players travelling all over the Northwest and also fixture pileups. Only a personal view but i would have entered the West Cheshire League as its a tougher league to be brought up in although i've heard they have lost their Step 7 status, maybe Wiretown can comment on that.

Maybe D.O.F can give us a more detailed overview now's he's on here as i'm sure it would be him who decides and be interested in his reasons.

Football has said on here it would be unfair to get young players travelling all over the Northwest and also fixture pileups. Only a personal view but i would have entered the West Cheshire League as its a tougher league to be brought up in although i've heard they have lost their Step 7 status, maybe Wiretown can comment on that..

Talk was it is as so many of the clubs have changing rooms miles from the pitches, such as The Unilever Sports ground in Bromborough where at least three sides play. As they were unable to address this the status is lowered to 7a or however they call it now. The standard though remains pretty high. It is all incidental though as promotion would not be possible for a side called Warrington Town Reserves. It would have to be a seperate club. I think the costs of running a side any higher than step 7 as a reserve side would be just too high. In reality the top Step 7 league sides are probably better than most NWC 1 sides.