St George's Day

wolfie

It always amuses me to hear the ladies of the WI singing a song calling for armed rebellion.

Why? The christian religion is full to overflowing with the blood of many millions slaughtered in the name of God. But Cur de Lion could not defeat Saladin and in the end settled for a truce being the better part of valour.

• Downvote 2

Why? The christian religion is full to overflowing with the blood of many millions slaughtered in the name of God. But Cur de Lion could not defeat Saladin and in the end settled for a truce being the better part of valour.

I don't think many religions can lay claim to have entirely clean hands, certainly not mine or yours. Or at least not the organised side of it. It is the juxtaposition of respectable , Daily Mail/Telegraph reading, middle aged women, busily making jam, baking cakes etc. (okay it's a stereotype, but one with a basis in reality) and a  call to bring down the state that amused me - rather than the religious angle.

Cleo it's very rare I disagree with you and I respect your beliefs as indeed I do all others, you for one I presume, married into your husbands religion and as often happens someone who has converted is often more fervent in their relatively new found belief than those that were born into it, however please don't forget that whether we like it or not the Crusades were part of British history and if that period had not taken place the chances are that many of us would not be here today and that does include you, many on here enjoy trying to wind you up, don't let that cloud your honest judgement.

• Upvote 3

Nice post algy, Cleo I am not trying to wind you up, My interests are battles and the history of them, The Middle East is very interesting as at times the whole area has been one big battle zone, sadly parts of it still are. The truth s both Christians and Muslims are guilty of invasion and conquest.

Cleo it's very rare I disagree with you and I respect your beliefs as indeed I do all others, you for one I presume, married into your husbands religion and as often happens someone who has converted is often more fervent in their relatively new found belief than those that were born into it, however please don't forget that whether we like it or not the Crusades were part of British history and if that period had not taken place the chances are that many of us would not be here today and that does include you, many on here enjoy trying to wind you up, don't let that cloud your honest judgement.

Good post algy :wink:

This is a perfect example of the convert's double standards, I would imagine that Richard was a hero of Cleo as he was to most children educated in this country. Now she has been 'turned' she now treats him with contempt according to her teachings by her totally intolerant new religion, isn't it ironic that Saladin was noted for his chivalry.The double standards are repeatedly on display with her venom when any mis-spelling of any aspect of her religion appears on here.

There would be hell to play if God forbid someone were to type in, by mistake, Saladinsane or Moo Hamid.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I went to see the rabbi this morning.
I said, "Rabbi I would like to convert to Jewish."
He asked, "When did you first decide this is the path you wish to take?"
"This morning." I replied, "Just after I had a wee and trapped my foreskin in my zip."

Alg, could you explain why - if the crusades had not taken place, "many of us would not be here today"?

I promised to behave myself obs, so here goes, surely you must realise any event in the past that did not happen would alter the whole structure of where we are today eg. take the first world war an event where millions died if that had not taken place then the entire breeding pattern of Europe if not the world would have been totally different than how it has evolved, it is highly unlikely that Cleo's parents would meet and produce her and so on. If the crusades had not taken place exactly the same situation would have evolved.

Dearest Algy, old friend, When Mohamed proposed to me for the second time I told him that I would but made it quite clear to him that I would not convert to Islam for him. He loved me so much that he accepted that condition, much to the annoyance of his mother when I first met his family after our marriage in the UK. She told him that he had married beneath himself. My response to that was, "That's funny, my parents said exactly the same to me." If looks could kill i would have died right there and then.

In actual fact my decision to convert came several years after we married and because I felt I wanted to. Mohamed put no pressure on me to convert and indeed was quite surprised when I mentioned to him that I was considering it, happy too of course.